Redbridge’s Indian diaspora celebrated at function
- Credit: Archant
Guests including politicians, councillors and business people mingled at Valentines Mansion, Ilford where Cllr Varinder Singh Bola hosted the evening.
Addressing attendees Cllr Singh Bola (Lab, Cranbrook) said: “We only need to consider great institutions like the National Health Service to recognise the hard work and contribution that Indian doctors, nurses and medics have made to this country.”
He added: “As a community we have a lot to be proud of.”
After the event, he revealed his plans to organise similar gatherings in the future.
He said: “I intend on making this an annual celebratory event and inviting even more distinguished individuals who deserve to be recognised.”
You may also want to watch:
There are currently over 45,000 people of Indian descent living in Redbridge.
Leader of Redbridge Council, Jas Athwal, paid tribute to the historic contributions of the Indian Army during World War II and also shared his own personal journey of coming from India and settling in the UK as a young child.
- 1 Man airlifted to hospital after Gants Hill house fire
- 2 Sadiq Khan comes to Redbridge ahead of London elections
- 3 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 4 Four further arrests in connection with Sven Badzak stabbing
- 5 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 6 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 7 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 8 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 9 Care home resident died after choking on sandwich, inquest hears
“In which country would you go where the son of an immigrant can become the leader of the council?” he said. To be elected not only by your own but all of the people of the borough, to be able to stand there and represent all of the communities – that is the sign of a true democracy and a country that we need to embrace.
“That is a country that we need to input as much as we can, to integrate, to learn, to add our values and take all the best of that is British.”