Redbridge Morris dancers could have been first to perform in Parliament after invite from MP Iain Duncan Smith
- Credit: Archant
Morris dancers from Ilford, Barkingside, Chigwell and further afield may be the first to have performed in the Houses of Parliament after taking up an invitation from MP Iain Duncan Smith.
The Black Horse and Standard Women’s Morris Dancers visited Portcullis House earlier this month where they performed their traditional dances with the Chingford and Woodford Green MP in the audience.
Mr Duncan Smith saw them at last year’s Chingford Festival and he suggested the group do the same at the heart of government.
Group member Wendy Wright, from Chingford, said: “It took a very long time. The House authorities had to approve it and it’s apparently never been done before.
“Some people were just heading home.
You may also want to watch:
“They were looking like ‘what’s going on?’
Wearing clogs and backed by accordions and melodeons, they jigged for half an hour in a style originating from the north west of England.
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 3 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 4 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 5 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 6 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 7 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 8 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate
- 9 Need for Frenford Foodbank won't end when pandemic does, say volunteers
- 10 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
The group practices in Walthamstow and has been going for 32 years.
The MP said: “It was really good fun.
“We had a number of MPs and staff watching what must be a historic event.
“They are very enthusiastic and put in a lot of effort as it looks very strenuous.”