Redbridge building gems open for all to see
THE BOROUGH’S hidden gems are throwing their doors open to the public for one weekend only.
Thirteen buildings will welcome all faiths and backgrounds this Saturday and Sunday as the London-wide Open House event comes to Redbridge.
Entrance to all buildings is free in what organisers say is a ‘celebration of buildings, places and neighbourhoods where we live, work and play.”
Iconic buildings taking part in the weekend include the Gurdwara Karamsar in High Road, Ilford, Wanstead’s Quaker Meeting House in Bush Road, and The Hospital Chapel of St Mary and St Thomas in Ilford Hill, Ilford.
As well as an open door to Redbridge’s iconic buildings, there will be a guided historical walk from Wanstead station to The Temple in Wanstead Park, highlighting St Mary’s Church in Overton Drive, Wanstead as well as remnants of the Grade II historical landscape that formed the grounds of Wanstead House.
You may also want to watch:
Jane Priestman, Open City Trustee said: “Over the years our aim has always been to raise awareness of the difference that well-designed buildings and public spaces can make to the quality of everyday life in London neighbourhood and community.”
For a full list of participating buildings and opening times visit www.openhouselondon.org.uk.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 5 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 6 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 7 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 8 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 9 Anti-hate crime workshops to be delivered in Redbridge
- 10 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August