Redbridge building gems open for all to see
THE BOROUGH’S hidden gems are throwing their doors open to the public for one weekend only.
Thirteen buildings will welcome all faiths and backgrounds this Saturday and Sunday as the London-wide Open House event comes to Redbridge.
Entrance to all buildings is free in what organisers say is a ‘celebration of buildings, places and neighbourhoods where we live, work and play.”
Iconic buildings taking part in the weekend include the Gurdwara Karamsar in High Road, Ilford, Wanstead’s Quaker Meeting House in Bush Road, and The Hospital Chapel of St Mary and St Thomas in Ilford Hill, Ilford.
As well as an open door to Redbridge’s iconic buildings, there will be a guided historical walk from Wanstead station to The Temple in Wanstead Park, highlighting St Mary’s Church in Overton Drive, Wanstead as well as remnants of the Grade II historical landscape that formed the grounds of Wanstead House.
You may also want to watch:
Jane Priestman, Open City Trustee said: “Over the years our aim has always been to raise awareness of the difference that well-designed buildings and public spaces can make to the quality of everyday life in London neighbourhood and community.”
For a full list of participating buildings and opening times visit www.openhouselondon.org.uk.
- 1 Residents complain their Ilford street now 'full of crime'
- 2 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer visits Redbridge on campaign trail
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 4 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 5 Former Ilford South MP opens up on Labour departure in new book
- 6 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 7 Covid hospital admissions and deaths in stark decline, NHS trust data shows
- 8 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 9 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 10 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford