Mouth-watering competition: Have your pie creation made by Romford pie and mash expert
- Credit: Archant
Your chance to get in to the pie hall of fame is finally here. Whether you think the time is right for a chicken fajita or a full English version, we want to hear from you.
We’ve enlisted the help of expert pie maker Stacey McDowell whose family has been in the trade for three generations.
Each day he makes more than 1,500 pies at the McDowells Pie and Mash Shop, Market Place, Romford and could be making your dream creation.
Mr McDowell will separate the pie-tastic from the simply pie in the sky ideas and will decide on which one deserves a place on one of his plates.
So, what do you need to remember when creating a pie?
You may also want to watch:
“Don’t go made with lots of ingredients,” he said. “Keep it simple and don’t have more than five things. It’s also got to be quite deep and not too salty. Try and get a bit of different texture in there too.”
Over the years, Mr McDowell has experimented with different pie flavours including Thai curry and apple and rhubarb.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 4 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 5 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 6 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 7 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 8 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 9 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 10 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
“People really enjoy a fruit pies as it’s a bit nostalgic for them. We’ve had all sorts of pies, everything you can think of. The vegetarian ones are surprisingly popular too.”
A brief survey of the Romford Twitter and Facebook accounts found some serious pie-fanatics out there. Some top ideas already suggested are from Billy Green who wants a bacon and bourbon pie and Joanna Jones who thinks the time is right for a sausage, caramelised onion, apple and cider pie.
Chicken also seemed to be a firm favourite with Kimberley Fraser going for one with bacon and cheese and Natalie Thain wanting a chicken vindaloo pie.
Over on Twitter, ideas were a little more unusual.
Kyle Palmer wants a full English breakfast pie and Debbie Richards wants a roast dinner version.
More outside the box, was John Milton who just wanted beer and ale in his liquid lunch version while Dave Wol wants magic beans in his – a nice idea but a bit difficult to make.
Send us your ideal pie ideas by twitter @romfordrecorder, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 8477 3826.