Ilford is in London, not Essex, say voters in Recorder poll
- Credit: Archant
It’s official, Ilford is firmly in London. According to our readers, that is.
In a poll on our website last week, 64 per cent of voters said they felt Redbridge was in the capital, whereas only 36 per cent said it was in Essex.
Despite the area being cut out of Essex to form a London borough in 1965, many residents still prefer the Essex label.
Writer Andrew Summers believes the debate has been kept going by the media, including television shows like The Only Way Is Essex, which is partly based in London.
He has co-authored a book on the history of what he calls “Metropolitan Essex” - the areas moved from the former county into the capital.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Summers said: “If you want to be precise, all Redbridge is in London but for whatever reason people still say Essex.”
In response to the poll, many people aired their views on social networks.
- 1 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 2 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 3 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 4 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 5 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 6 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate
- 7 Political fight as council shifts money away from opposition party
- 8 Seven Kings novelist among winners of London Writers Awards
- 9 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Fly-tipping initiative at Redbridge Council up for national award
On Twitter, Maxine G (@Lil_Midge37) wrote: “So why do we have a London phone number? And in London zone? London borough... etc? We are London.”
But Michelle Bayley (@michellebayley) disagreed. She wrote: “My address says Essex so I live in Essex.”
On Facebook the jury was out. Taz Latif said: “I have an Essex postcode and my address says Essex in it, but it falls under ‘The London Borough of....’ so it’s a controversial and ambiguous one.”
Hellen Curtis wrote: “Well I say Ilford, Essex, but if anyone asks I say it’s east London!”
It looks as though the debate will continue for a long time yet.