Former Goodmayes racer on the track again at the age of 66
- Credit: Archant
A former racing driver is donning his leathers once more to compete in a sports car series.
Keith Stanbury, chairman of Goodmayes Residents’ Association, races in his Toyota GT86. The car won the most recent Toyota Sprint Series race in April.
Mr Stanbury, of Hazeldene Road, Goodmayes, raced on the amateur circuit in the 1960s. At 66, he believes he could be one of the oldest drivers competing.
He said: “It was absolutely delightful to be back behind the wheel. I’m not going to win a championship or anything like that but it’s good run to get that adrenaline rushing again after all these years.”
Mr Stanbury hopes to race in local events. His car may be on show at the area five Our Community Festival, in Barley Lane Recreation Ground on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Stanbury is looking for two volunteers with clean driving licences to help out on race days. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 4 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 5 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 6 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 7 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 8 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 9 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 10 Public in 'parallel universe' to hospitals on Covid measures, meeting told