Flashback: A pensioner saved from a pan fire, a disobedient bladder to the rescue and two widowers find love
- Credit: Archant
1998: A pensioner was saved from the flames of his smoke-filled kitchen fire by his neighbour, an off-duty firefighter.
Steve Wells, who was based Woodford Green Fire Station, Snakes Lane West, was building a rabbit hutch in his garden as he heard his neighbour’s smoke alarm.
Steve rushed to the back of Eddie Hurley’s garden to see thick black smoke coming out.
Steve said: “I took a big breath and crawled down onto my hands and knees and found him standing there in the kitchen.”
Eddie, 79, had left a pan on the cooker while watching football on television in his home in Loughton.
You may also want to watch:
1978: A four-year-old was saved from a bedroom blaze thanks to wetting the bed.
The little boy had moved to his parents’ bedroom when an electric blanket overheated and started a fire in his room.
- 1 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 2 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 3 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 4 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 5 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 6 Seven Kings School celebrates 90th birthday with fair
- 7 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 8 Nine Redbridge parks retain Green Flag Award status
- 9 Thirteen-year-old boy stabbed in Ilford
- 10 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
Firefighters called to the home in Burrows Road, Hainault, said he would have choked to death if he had been in the room.
The boy’s mum said: “I know wetting the bed has its drawbacks but we are glad it happened. He is lucky to be alive. We are normally so careful about electric plugs, but I suppose it was just one of those things.”
1958: Love triumphed for a couple in their seventies who finally married after two years of difficulties.
Lily Sears, 71, and Harold Eke, 72, fell in love during a two-week holiday at Clacton with other members of Ilford Lane old age pensioners club in 1953. But, despite their desperate pleased to Ilford’s mayor and housing committee, they could not get married as they did not have their own home.
Both Lily and Harold lived with their relatives.
Their prayers were answered when their friends Harry and Mary Hoare, offered them two spare rooms at their home in Kingston Road.
Harold and Lily married at St Andrew’s Church, Ilford.