Discovery of Legionella bacteria forces closure of Wanstead Youth Centre
Wanstead Youth Centre has been closed and is expected to remain shut for the next two weeks after Legionella bacteria were found in its water system.
The centre in Elmcroft Avenue, which hosts leisure activities for young people aged 13 to 19, was shut on Monday.
A Redbridge Council spokesman said: “As a result of a routine test on May 3 it was discovered that Legionella bacteria were present in parts of the centre’s water system.
“As soon as the Youth Service received the result, the decision was made to shut the centre, with immediate effect.
“Legionella bacteria are commonly found in water systems and are considered to be low risk when managed correctly.
You may also want to watch:
“There are tried and tested methods to deal with the bacteria and these will be employed at the centre.
“The affected parts of the water system will now be treated and a rigorous programme of monthly monitoring will continue to be implemented.
- 1 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 2 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 3 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 4 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 5 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 6 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 9 'A race against time' - 18,000 people in Redbridge have received Covid jab
- 10 Little Gearies development plans pass following hours of discussion over Barkingside estate
“Those using the centre have been contacted about the situation. “Wherever possible, the Youth Service has provided support and advice to the user groups to look for alternative venues that are appropriate.”
Legionellosis is the collective name given to the pneumonia-like illness caused by legionella bacteria.
The most serious form, Legionnaires’ disease, is a potentially fatal form of pneumonia.
Pupils were sent home from Seven Kings High School in Ley Street last year after Legionella bacteria were found following routine tests.