Crowds gather for Christmas lights switch-on in Wanstead with carols and brass band
Wanstead’s George Green provided a perfect Christmas scene on Friday as crowds gathered for the annual switch-on of the Christmas lights.
Pupils from Wanstead Church School in Church Path serenaded well-wishers who also enjoyed rousing music from a Salvation Army brass band.
Mayor of Redbridge Cllr Muhammed Javed switched on the lights on the tree.
Cllr Alex Wilson, of Wanstead ward, said: “It was lovely. It’s a very well supported event. There were probably even more people than last year, it seems to get bigger and bigger in terms of support.
The tree looks fantastic.”
You may also want to watch:
The tree and lights are funded by the area one committee.
- 1 Owner who posted video of his restaurant defying Covid rules loses licence
- 2 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 3 South Woodford post office to close in the spring
- 4 Fire breaks out at care home under renovation in Newbury Park
- 5 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Wanstead?
- 6 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 7 Plans for 66ft 5G mast in Goodmayes alarms residents
- 8 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 9 South Woodford flat 'has parties several times a week during lockdown'
- 10 Tributes paid to Ilford jazz legend Keith Nichols, who died from Covid