Crowds gather for Christmas lights switch-on in Wanstead with carols and brass band
Wanstead’s George Green provided a perfect Christmas scene on Friday as crowds gathered for the annual switch-on of the Christmas lights.
Pupils from Wanstead Church School in Church Path serenaded well-wishers who also enjoyed rousing music from a Salvation Army brass band.
Mayor of Redbridge Cllr Muhammed Javed switched on the lights on the tree.
Cllr Alex Wilson, of Wanstead ward, said: “It was lovely. It’s a very well supported event. There were probably even more people than last year, it seems to get bigger and bigger in terms of support.
The tree looks fantastic.”
You may also want to watch:
The tree and lights are funded by the area one committee.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 5 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 6 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 7 Goodmayes racer Alex Lynn and title leader Sam Bird preview London E-Prix
- 8 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 9 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 10 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault