Crowds gather for Christmas lights switch-on in Wanstead with carols and brass band
Wanstead’s George Green provided a perfect Christmas scene on Friday as crowds gathered for the annual switch-on of the Christmas lights.
Pupils from Wanstead Church School in Church Path serenaded well-wishers who also enjoyed rousing music from a Salvation Army brass band.
Mayor of Redbridge Cllr Muhammed Javed switched on the lights on the tree.
Cllr Alex Wilson, of Wanstead ward, said: “It was lovely. It’s a very well supported event. There were probably even more people than last year, it seems to get bigger and bigger in terms of support.
The tree looks fantastic.”
You may also want to watch:
The tree and lights are funded by the area one committee.
- 1 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 2 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 3 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 7 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 8 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 9 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 10 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home