Clubs news - Probus Club elects new president and reservoir trip
- Credit: Archant
Probus Club of Ilford
»The torch has been passed on with the election of a new president of the Probus Club of Ilford.
The club held its 23rd annual meeting at Luigi’s restaurant, Beehive Lane, Gants Hill, where the 40 members of the club voted and declared Richard Small as president for the year.
Alan Farthing, the previous president, said: “The club continues to flourish, monthly luncheons providing good food, companionship and interesting speakers.”
He added: “No doubt our new president, Richard Small, will stamp his own mark on our proceedings and we look forward to the coming year with anticipation.”
You may also want to watch:
Club secretary, Major Paul Burton, also stood down from his role at the same meeting and is to be replaced by Tyrone Perreria.
Mr Perreria said: “Taking over from Major Paul Burton, who has been secretary for 15 years, is daunting but I am sure he will continue to give great support.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 5 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 6 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 7 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
- 8 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
He continued: “It is all about friendship and enjoyment and Paul, like us all, will wish to remain part of it.”
n Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Ilford Chess Club
Essex Chess League division team Ilford II kicked off the new year by defeating local rivals Loughton II.
It didn’t look as if the match was going to be in Ilford’s favour, but thanks to the blunders of Loughton team members and quick thinking on the other side, Ilford managed to win the match.
The next two matches will be played at Redbridge Social Centre, in Beehive Lane, Gants Hill against Basildon II and Brentwood II.
n For more details visit www.ilfchess.tripod.com .
Wren Conservation Group
The group went on a trip to the Abberton Reservoir, an Essex Wildlife Trust reserve, where it was able to discover a wide range of wildfowl.
From Bewick’s swans to smews, members saw birds that are not usually spotted in Redbridge.
n For more information call 020 8989 4898.
Barkingside Rotary Club
Members got into the Christmas spirit last month, by visiting poorly children and elderly citizens.
The club made a trip to the children’s ward at King George Hospital, Barley Lane, Goodmayes, as well as Whipps Cross Hospital in Leytonstone, bringing them chocolate and toys.
The club also held a Christmas party for the elderly at the Marjorie Collins Centre, in Grove Road, Chadwell Heath.
n For more information visit www.barkingrotary.org.uk.