Clubs news - Probus Club elects new president and reservoir trip
- Credit: Archant
Probus Club of Ilford
»The torch has been passed on with the election of a new president of the Probus Club of Ilford.
The club held its 23rd annual meeting at Luigi’s restaurant, Beehive Lane, Gants Hill, where the 40 members of the club voted and declared Richard Small as president for the year.
Alan Farthing, the previous president, said: “The club continues to flourish, monthly luncheons providing good food, companionship and interesting speakers.”
He added: “No doubt our new president, Richard Small, will stamp his own mark on our proceedings and we look forward to the coming year with anticipation.”
You may also want to watch:
Club secretary, Major Paul Burton, also stood down from his role at the same meeting and is to be replaced by Tyrone Perreria.
Mr Perreria said: “Taking over from Major Paul Burton, who has been secretary for 15 years, is daunting but I am sure he will continue to give great support.
- 1 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 3 Derelict pavilion in Goodmayes Park destroyed by fire
- 4 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 5 Police and council join forces to help raise Covid awareness
- 6 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Ilford?
- 7 Welcome to Chadwell Heath Spartans, a true family football club
- 8 Former councillor jailed for electoral fraud said he wanted to help people
- 9 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 10 Royal Mail lists six Redbridge postcodes hit by Covid postal delays
He continued: “It is all about friendship and enjoyment and Paul, like us all, will wish to remain part of it.”
n Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Ilford Chess Club
Essex Chess League division team Ilford II kicked off the new year by defeating local rivals Loughton II.
It didn’t look as if the match was going to be in Ilford’s favour, but thanks to the blunders of Loughton team members and quick thinking on the other side, Ilford managed to win the match.
The next two matches will be played at Redbridge Social Centre, in Beehive Lane, Gants Hill against Basildon II and Brentwood II.
n For more details visit www.ilfchess.tripod.com .
Wren Conservation Group
The group went on a trip to the Abberton Reservoir, an Essex Wildlife Trust reserve, where it was able to discover a wide range of wildfowl.
From Bewick’s swans to smews, members saw birds that are not usually spotted in Redbridge.
n For more information call 020 8989 4898.
Barkingside Rotary Club
Members got into the Christmas spirit last month, by visiting poorly children and elderly citizens.
The club made a trip to the children’s ward at King George Hospital, Barley Lane, Goodmayes, as well as Whipps Cross Hospital in Leytonstone, bringing them chocolate and toys.
The club also held a Christmas party for the elderly at the Marjorie Collins Centre, in Grove Road, Chadwell Heath.
n For more information visit www.barkingrotary.org.uk.