Access all areas at Redbridge’s most striking buildings during Open House London weekend
It was access all areas in some of the most striking buildings in Redbridge this weekend during Open House London including a former chapel which was in danger of collapse.
Balkrishna Savant welcomed about 200 visitors yesterday to Aldborough Hatch Chapel at Aldborough House Farm in Oaks Lane, Newbury Park.
The Grade-II listed building had lain derelict until the chartered accountant converted it into a private home.
It possibly predates Aldborough House to which it was attached and is thought to have been built in the late 17th or early 18th century.
Ron Jeffries, of Spearpoint Gardens, Newbury Park, said: “People thought it was absolutely brilliant what he’s done with it.
You may also want to watch:
“They were impressed the way he’s retained its character, with the balcony and the brickwork. “
Its west wall was blown down in the hurricane of 1987 and Mr Savant was faithful to the original brickwork when rebuilding it.
- 1 Fire damages Ilford flats
- 2 95pc of children get place at first or second choice primary school
- 3 Have you seen Chantel, 15, missing from Ilford?
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Man charged with murder
- 5 Tributes to police officer killed in Ilford on 26th anniversary of death
- 6 Two men assaulted with pole after car driven into them
- 7 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 8 Hainault teen lands coveted slot on dance touring company
- 9 Fairlop Waters, numbers, NHS and child exploitation
- 10 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
Mr Jeffries offered tours of St Peter’s Church in Aldborough Road North, another Open House location which welcomed around 100 visitors yesterday.
And Dharam Sahdev, of Gantshill Crescent, Gants Hill, looked around the 12th century Hospital Chapel, in Ilford Hill, Ilford, and submitted photos of the former hospice to iwitness24.
He said: “It’s extremely important from an architectural point of view, it reflects the architecture of the 12th century.”
Other Open House locations included Bancroft’s School in High Road, Woodford Green, and Uphall Primary School in Uphall Road, Ilford.