A round up of news from the borough’s clubs and societies.
- Credit: Archant
Redbridge clubs news: Eastside Community Heritage, Wanstead Historical Society, vintage and craft fair and top Shirley Bassey tribute act at The 72 Club.
Eastside Community Heritage
A heritage group are holding a series of talks and information events on the history of Ilford and the famous photographic company which bears the same name.
Eastside Community Heritage (ECH) will be showing old photographs of the town centre and discussing residents’ memories of Ilford to preserve the area’s history.
Earlier this month they held an event at Sainsbury’s, in Roden Street, Ilford.
You may also want to watch:
Holly Gilson said: “Around 60 people came over to share there memories, it was a really great day.”
Holly explained ECH are putting on talks on May 9 at 6pm, May 10 at 10am and May 28 at 2pm, all at Sainbury’s, Roden Street.
- 1 Consultation on proposed controlled parking zones to begin
- 2 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 3 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims
- 4 Covid outbreak at Woodford Green care home delays vaccinations
- 5 Council left homeless family 'stuck in cycle of instability', report finds
- 6 Redevelopment plans likely to be approved despite 144 objections
- 7 Almost 250 homes without internet in Goodmayes after car accident takes out telecoms box
- 8 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 9 Two in five people in Redbridge may have had Covid, data shows
- 10 Covid vaccine invitations a priority for Royal Mail, says MP
They will also being telling residents about Ilford Photo, the film company, founded in Cranbrook Road in 1879 by Alfred Hugh Harman.
The town’s most famous company moved to Cheshire in 1983, but Holly hopes people with memories of it will share them.
For more information on the group or if you want to volunteer for the talks email Holly@ECH.org or call 020 8553 3116
Wanstead Historical Society
Children in the early 20th century will be the focus of the society’s presentation today (Thursday).
Entitled “The Spitalfield Nippers” the event will look at photographs taken by Horace Warne of east end children.
The images capture life in Victorian London.
The event will be held in the Churchhill Room, Wanstead Library, Spratt Hall Road, Wanstead at 8pm.
Visitors are welcome and will be charged £3. Refreshments will be available.
For more information on the Wanstead Historical Society and future events contact the group’s secretary Mark Galloway 02084711171
Past & Present Antique, Vintage and Craft Fair
The popular fair will be held at Christchurch Hall, Wanstead Place, off Wanstead High Street, Wanstead on Saturday.
Entry costs £1
Contact email@example.com with enquiries.
The 72 Club
Top Shirley Bassey tribute performer, Rachael Roberts, will bring her world-class act to The 72 Club on Saturday.
Rachael performed to a sold out crowd at the famous Hippodrome London in March and received a standing ovation.
She will sing hits such as Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever, This is My Life and many more to fans of the Big Spender.
Catch Rachael at the club based at Wanstead Golf Course, Overton Drive, Wanstead from 7.30pm.
Tickets to the event cost £10. Visit the72Club.co.uk for more details including future events or contact Terry on 07908070174.