2012 Olympic countdown sees thousands celebrate in Barkingside
There may have been 369 days until the 2012 games, but Olympic fever gripped the thousands of people who turned out for the Inspiration Festival in Fairlop Waters on Sunday.
People came out in their numbers to show their support for the looming Olympic Games, with about 300 taking part in a 10,000m run around the lake, and were greeted at the finish line by Tessa Sanderson.
About 60 members of the Golden Years and Dance Troupe took part in a chair dance, while the Recorder’s mascot Scoopy met youngsters and learned some karate moves.
Council leader Cllr Keith Prince held a meet the leader session at the event, which he hailed as a great success.
“I spoke with many residents and was able to give good advice,” he said.
“As I was very busy doing this I didn’t get much of a chance to take in the sights and sounds, but I did see the singing and dancing displays put on by a variety of cultures, which was fantastic. “I’d like to be able to repeat this next year, although obviously it will be a slightly different festival as the Olympic Games will be in full swing”
Fairlop resident Ron Jeffries said: “I am hoping this will become a fixture in Redbridge’s calendar. It was such a fantastic event and really well received.
- 1 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 2 Two people arrested following Ilford drugs lab bust
- 3 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 4 Five jailed after 'cold blooded' murder of Enfield father
- 5 Boy, 2, injured after 'dog attack' at funfair
- 6 Labour wins Mayfield seats in delayed election
- 7 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 9 Call for pictures of your Platinum Jubilee street parties and celebrations
- 10 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
“I’ve lived near Fairlop for years and I’ve never had a chance to go across the lake in a ferry. So much time and effort was put into this and it was such a brilliant success,” he added.