May 25 2013 Latest news:
By Trevor Davies, Leyton Orient correspondent
Thursday, July 19, 2012
O’s chief is pleased with the progress being made
Orient manager Russell Slade is in an upbeat mood as the players come to the end of their second week of pre-season training.
The O’s boss has now made eight summer signings, including four in the last week and is delighted with the way things are progressing.
“Things have been really good and the attitude and focus of the players has been first class,” he said.
Slade now has 20 players signed for the new season and said: “Things are starting to come together now.
“It’s a no-brainer that with the wage-capping system we will not have the biggest of squads, but everyone will be in the same boat if they play by the rules,” said the O’s chief.
Slade will be keen to steer clear of injuries and is delighted that both David Mooney and Scott Cuthbert are back in training.
Cuthbert suffered a hamstring injury at the end of the season, while Mooney underwent an ankle operation in the summer.
However, the O’s boss admits he was disappointed not to be able to keep midfielder Matt Spring. “I was hoping we could do something, but it was very difficult as he was a big earner and the wage capping and cut in the budget meant it was tough.
“But he has got a family to support and has got himself sorted out and I wish him all the best as he was a good servant.”