Search

Slade looking for O’s to start strong again

16:35 08 August 2014

Russell Slade. (Photo by Steve Bardens/Getty Images)

Russell Slade. (Photo by Steve Bardens/Getty Images)

2014 Getty Images

Leyton Orient boss Russell Slade would love nothing more than a repeat of last season’s record-breaking start to the League One season when they get underway at home to third tier new boys Chesterfield at Brisbane Road on Saturday.

The O’s were unbeaten in their first 12 games last term, before they eventually suffered a 3-1 efeat against Coventry in late October.

And though Slade may well be dealing with raised expectations following Italian businessman Francesco Bechhetti’s take-over last month, he feels they are in for a tough first month as they look to secure promotion this season.

O’s face trips to Oldham, Bristol City and Fleetwood in August – as well as a visit to Plymouth in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday.

“If we can get off to something like the start we had last season I’d be delighted,” said Slade.

“I look at the first five games in August and the three away are very tough, but we’ve set our own target, which I’m not disclosing, but hopefully we’ll achieve that and move on.”

Slade completed his summer recruitment with the additions of Jay Simpson and Darius Henderson last week to take his senior squad size up to 20.

And though some may think that is on the small side, the O’s chief believes it is more about quality over quantity.

“I never wanted 27 or 28. I have brought in players who I think can play a part rather than make up the numbers,” he added.

“I have got 20 players that are very capable and I am thrilled that I have got that.

“Competition for places will be that little bit more intense now and they will all play their part over the course of the season.”

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ilford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ilford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ilford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Sport Stories

Yesterday, 17:30
Barkingside manager Matt Frew (Pic: George Phillipou/TGSPHOTO)

The defeat was Side’s 10th in the Ryman North this campaign and leaves them 20th in the table

Yesterday, 16:30
Sean Shields in action for Dagenham & Redbridge (pic:Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO).

Boss Wayne Burnett felt youngster looked bright, whilst midfielder thanked St Albans City

Yesterday, 15:15
Tony Cottee

West Ham legend Tony Cottee pulls no punches over the cheating in the game

Yesterday, 13:30
Scott Doe of Dagenham & Redbridge (pic:Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO).

Defender felt the response to going a goal behind early in the game was key

Most read sport

Eddie said that despite being sexually attracted to children, he’s never committed a crime and that there’s many more like him.

PM speaks out after Lee Rigby report is made public calling one internet firm a ‘safe haven’.

Social network named in media reports as the platform used by extremists and criticised in government report.

The security services were not in a position to stop the attack on Lee Rigby, but an internet firm might have been able to help foil the plot.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition