Search

Move was a no brainer, says Orient’s Jay

17:00 06 August 2014

New Leyton Orient signing Jay Simpson  in aciton against Ipswich (pic: Simon O

New Leyton Orient signing Jay Simpson in aciton against Ipswich (pic: Simon O'Connor)

2 Burnham Road Chingford London E4 8PE

Striker keen to settle down after his Thailand experience

New Leyton Orient striker Jay Simpson insists his move to the O’s was a ‘no brainer’ after meeting up with boss Russell Slade.

Simpson signed a three-year deal at Brisbane Road last week after turning down opportunities for a move to the Championship.

And the 25-year-old admits his mind was made up after discussions with Slade.

“I had a few offers from Championship sides but I knew Russell from when he was at Yeovil,” said Simpson.

“We met up and I liked how he was selling the club and the ambition for the future.

“It was almost a no brainer and it is nice to be part of a promotion project rather than one where you are maybe fighting for survival. The aim is to win the division and I want to be part of that.”

Simpson’s late arrival means he is slightly behind the rest of the O’s squad in terms of fitness.

He featured off the bench in their 1-1 draw with Championship outfit Ipswich Town at Brisbane Road on Saturday, and followed that up with a further 45 minutes against Conference South side Farnborough on Monday.

The former Arsenal forward has been put on an intensive programme by fitness coach Lee Southernwood, and he already feels he’s making great strides.

“It was a tough first week of training and I have been workinghard with the fitness coach. I don’t feel too far behind,” he added.

“It was nice to have that run out at the weekend against Ipswich in front of the fans as well.

Simpson joins after a short spell in Thailand at Buriram United.

And while playing abroad was something he always wanted to experience, he admitted his family never really settled.

“It was an experience and I always wanted to play abroad but with a young family it was a lot of travelling and I spent most of my time doing that,” said Simpson.

“Especially with two young kids aged two and three and another one on the way. It was definitely an experience but I am happy to be back in England and get the family settled again.”

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ilford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ilford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ilford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Sport Stories

Yesterday, 11:24

Our West Ham blogger sees plenty of positives in defeat at Everton

Yesterday, 08:20
Mark Parker of Redbridge (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Ryman North: Harlow 4 Redbridge 0; Barkingside 0 Thamesmead 2

Saturday, November 22, 2014
Ashley Chambers of Dagenham & Redbridge celebrates scoring the fourth goal against Carlisle United (pic:Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO)

Victory moves Daggers up to 21st in league table but Burnett insisted they didn’t do anything different compared to previous home matches

Saturday, November 22, 2014
O's first  goalscorer Gianvito Plasmati  celebrates with manager Mauro Milanese. Pic: Simon O'Connor

O’s boss delighted to send O’s fans home happy.

Most read sport

The final GP in the UAE may not have been a thriller, but it did kind of sum up the season for a lot of drivers.

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition