McAnuff’s maiden strike seals O’s win at Scunthorpe

16:54 20 September 2014

O's Scott Cuthbert opens the scoring for Leyton Orient at Scunthorpe United. Pic: Simon O'Connor

O's Scott Cuthbert opens the scoring for Leyton Orient at Scunthorpe United. Pic: Simon O'Connor

Simon O"Connor/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way Braintree Essex

League One: Scunthorpe United 1 Leyton Orient 2

Jobi McAnuff’s first goal for Leyton Orient ensured they kept up their unbeaten away record with a 2-1 win at Scunthorpe United.

Scott Cuthbert headed the visitors into a third-minute lead, but Matt Sparrow levelled four minutes into the second half.

However, the O’s showed strong resolve once again and McAnuff’s close-range finish ensured all three points went the visitors way.

The O’s boss made three changes from the 1-1 draw at Notts County in midweek with Lloyd James making his 100th appearance for the club on his return from injury, while Dean Cox and Darius Henderson were brought in for Michael Petrasso, Bradley Pritchard and David Mooney.

And Orient got off to a dream start after Nathan Clarke’s long throw-in was headed behind for a corner.

Dean Cox’s delivery was pinpoint and Scott Cuthbert rose highest to thump a header past Bobby Olejnik to give them the early lead.

The early goal silenced the home fans and Scunthorpe’s first real foray forward came after Romain Vincelot gave away a free-kick just inside the hosts half.

And from that they went close as Gary McSheffrey got a shot away, but it was wide of Gary Woods’ goal.

Chances were at a premium, though O’s always looked threatening up top as Dagnall and Henderson linked up well.

And it was the former, who spent two seasons at Glanford back from 2010 to 2012, who was next to go close when he forced Olejnik into a fine save following his header on goal after a McAnuff delivery from the left.

Scunthorpe began to have spells of pressure and Miguel Llera went close as his glancing header from Terry Hawkridge’s centre went narrowly wide of the goal.

The hosts certainly were their own worst victims at times though as Luke O’Neill gave away possession to Dagnall just inside the Iron half.

The striker was untouched as he forced his way into the box, but his left footed effort was save by Olejnik, before Paddy Madden went close for the hosts with a speculative effort.

Niall Canavan then presented a great chance for Henderson, but after going through on goal the home defender recovered and put in great last-ditch tackle.

Both sides remained unchanged at the start of the second period, and it was certainly another lively start.

Henderson caused havoc in the away box and the ball fell invitingly for James just outside the box and his effort was deflected agonisingly wide.

That miss proved costly though as the hosts forced an equaliser on 49 minutes when McSheffrey’s ball in was flicked into the path of Matt Sparrow by Madden and he slotted past Woods.

They say you are at your weakest when you concede though and that proved to be the case as the O’s went back in front two minutes later when McAnuff forced home at the back post for his first goal for the club.

Henderson got a shot away following Cox’s curling ball over to the imposing striker, but Olejnik gathered at the second attempt and Dagnall went close after a dinked ball over the top form Cox again.

Lowry rose highest at the back post to almost certainly add a third, but Olejnik pulled off the save.

The game was getting much more open now as time ticked on, and only a great block from Elliot Omozusi denied Matt Sparrow who was guilty of taken too long to get his shot away.

That launched an O’s counter attack and Henderson was unlucky again as his shot was pushed behind by Olejnik.

And as the game entered stoppage time the visitors had the perfect opportunity to make sure of all three points when Shaun Batt’s ball in found Simpson, but at full stretch he fired over the bar.

But they played out the five minutes of stoppage time and Slade’s side extended their unbeaten run away from home to nine games.

Scunthorpe United: Olejnik, O’Neill, Llera, Canavan, Williams, Hawkridge (Myrie-Williams 74), Sparrow, McAllister (Kee 77), McSheffrey, Madden, Taylor (Adelakun 67).

Unused substitutes: Weaver, Dawson, Boyce, Sutton.

Leyton Orient: Woods, Omozusi, Clarke, Cuthbert, Lowry; Cox (Batt 82), James, Vincelot, McAnuff (Petrasso 72), Dagnall (Simpson 76), Henderson.

Unused substitutes: Grainger, Baudry, Mooney, Pritchard.

Attendance: 3,264 (261 Leyton Orient fans)


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ilford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ilford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ilford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Ilford Sports News

4 minutes ago
Corey Whitely of Dagenham & Redbridge celebrates his goal against Aldershot Town (pic: David Simpson/TGS Photo)

Daggers match-winner thrilled with success against promotion rivals

Barkingside manager Gursel Gulfer (pic: George Phillipou/TGS Photo)

Eton Manor 4 Barkingside 3

West Ham United's Edimilson Fernandes celebrates scoring his side's second goal of the game

The Hammers made the London Stadium rock with a deserved victory to give Chelsea the Blues

Yesterday, 17:00
Ilford manager Allan Fenn (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Foxes boss frustrated with hosts second goal and full of praise for Wale Odedoyin despite penalty miss

Breaking news

Police attending the scene of a stabbing incident in Goodmayes.

A 19-year-old man has died after being stabbed in the early hours of this morning.

Read more

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read sport


Show Job Lists


£3,000 goes a long way at Boots

Cosmetics, toiletries, vitamins and more. Boots is the number one choice when it comes to purchasing daily essentials.

Kit yourself out and go Apple mad!

If you’re obsessed with Apple or just love a good gadget, this is a prize that will blow you away! An incredible £3,333 to spend on Apple goodies! How would you like to be the proud new owner of the Apple Watch?

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Ilford Recorder
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now