Search

Losing Elito is a big blow, says Daggers boss Burnett

16:00 18 July 2014

Medy Elito of Dagenham and Redbridge poses in a pair of funky sun glasses after the win at Cheltenham Town, his last game for the club. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO

Medy Elito of Dagenham and Redbridge poses in a pair of funky sun glasses after the win at Cheltenham Town, his last game for the club. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO

Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football Leagu

Dagenham & Redbridge manager Wayne Burnett admits he was loathed to get rid of winger Medy Elito, but couldn’t hold the player back on his desire to move to Holland.

The 24-year-old put in a transfer request to the club stating his desire to move to VVV Venlo to be close to his partner and child, which was duly accepted.

His arrival in Holland was announced on Monday by Venlo, with the winger signing a two-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

And as much as Burnett wanted the eight-goal man from last season to remain at Victoria Road, he was left with little option but to part ways with Elito.

“I am really disappointed to lose Medy,” said Burnett.

“Circumstances are what they are and we have to try and replace him. We will do, it’s just getting them in.”

At this stage Burnett will only have the wages of Elito to play with rather than the fee, however he feels it will be difficult to replace someone of his talent.

“We’ll just have his wages so we will have to work within our means and try and bring someone in with a similar pedigree as Medy,” he added.

“We were all gutted and didn’t want him to go and we made that clear to him, but he was adamant.”

The Daggers boss was already short of attacking options before the former England youth international left and this only heightens his worries.

A number of players including Luke Howell, Abu Ogogo and new signing Joss Labadie are already on the treatment table with knocks and niggles.

And though not overly concerned at this stage, the Victoria Road chief admitted it’s difficult to put systems in place without key indiviuals being fit.

“It’s not a worry because it is now and hopefully it won’t be near the season but you want them fit and playing,” he said.

“We can’t get anything going because we are still trying to get players in.

“You’ve got players that we’ve brought in and we want to get them on the training pitch but it’s been difficult.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ilford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ilford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ilford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Sport Stories

16:00
Frankie Raymond of Dagenham and Redbridge scores the third goal against Accrington Stanley (pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO)

Midfielder looks to establish himself in first team after breaking through in final weeks of last year

Martin Ling, Errol McKellar and Barry Hearn are all smiles ahead of the charity match for Prostate Cancer UK (pic: Sarah Lines/Prostate Cancer UK).

Former O’s player and manager discusses management return and the possibility of becoming Ian Hendon’s number two

15:00
The British Judo Association has launched the Throw Yourself Into Judo initiative to increase participation (pic; British Judo)

‘Throw Yourself Into’ campaign encouraging newcomers

14:11
Ayo Obileye scores for Dagenham and Redbridge against Southend United and will now return to Victoria Road with Charlton Athletic this summer (pic: TGSPHOTO).

Pre-season encounter could see return of ex-loan star

Most read sport

Competitions

Time to expand with the LeefiBRIDGE.

More iOS memory in a flash: Introducing Leef iBRIDGE.

The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder