Search

Ilesanmi – The time was right to leave Daggers

12:15 30 May 2014

Femi Ilesanmi has wasted little time in signing for another club, making a move to York City on a two-year deal. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO

Femi Ilesanmi has wasted little time in signing for another club, making a move to York City on a two-year deal. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO

Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football Leagu

Former Dagenham & Redbridge defender Femi Ilesanmi admitted the time was right to call an end to his days at Victoria Road.

Femi Ilesanmi applauds the fans at Torquay in one of his final games for the Daggers. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTOFemi Ilesanmi applauds the fans at Torquay in one of his final games for the Daggers. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO

Ilesanmi made 134 appearances over a four-year spell before his recent departure, and though he’s sad to leave the club, he wasn’t too shocked after discussions with boss Wayne Burnett.

“It is sad to be leaving the Daggers,” said Ilesanmi. “The club gave me my chance in professional football and I’ll always be grateful for that.

“To have played as many games as I have at such a young age is great for me, and the club have given me that experience.

“But I wasn’t really in shock because of the way the season went for me. I could see the time was right for me to move on and Wayne and I agreed I had to move on.”

Femi Ilesanmi finished third in the 2012-13 player of the year award. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTOFemi Ilesanmi finished third in the 2012-13 player of the year award. Pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO

“Playing League One football at such a young age is a great experience and that probably is my main highlight from my time at the club.”

The left back was approached by a number of clubs after leaving the Daggers, and it didn’t take too long for League Two rivals York City to snap the 23-year-old up on a two-year deal late last week.

And though it’s a long way from his London roots, the defender is relishing the challenge at Bootham Crescent.

“It’s a fresh start and I am really looking forward to it,” he added. “I had quite a few offers, but I got a call from the York City boss Nigel Worthington and I spoke to him at quite some length. He told me how much he wanted me and how much he valued me and that’s always nice to hear.

“It’s all completely new for me and I don’t know anyone at York, but I’ve heard a few of the boys have been tweeting good things about me and I am looking forward to meeting them all.”

The League Two fixtures come out on June 18 and the fans favourite will cast his eye immediately at when he’ll be coming up against his old side.

“The fans have been great over my time at the club and I appreciate all the support they have given me.

“It’ll be the first two fixtures I look out for when they come out and it’ll nice to come back to see everyone at the Daggers.”

Latest Sport Stories

17:00
Essex under-18s celebrate a goal

Three levels bring home points for representatives

Chinedu McKenzie celebrates scoring the winning penalty for Redbridge against Canvey (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

Brightlingsea welcome Oakside outfit to North Road

Daggers Bradley Goldberg (pic: Dave Simpson/TGSPHOTO

Daggers forward has earned loan extension

15:00
East Ham Active are organising a walking football event this month

Event takes place two days after Christmas

Most read sport

A Gogglebox family will have to keep their comments about the week’s TV to themselves from now on.

The online encyclopaedia created a special video showing how the year’s event are linked.

People are divided and it’s definitely following a pattern.

The Interview is about an attempt to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition