Dagenham & Redbridge: Luke Pennell happy to get back to day job after difficult period off the field for Daggers
PUBLISHED: 10:00 13 February 2018
©TGS Photo tgsphoto.co.uk +44 1376 553468
Daggers lost 2-0 to Aldershot Town in the National League on Saturday
Luke Pennell admits he was just happy to get back on the pitch after a difficult period off the field for Dagenham & Redbridge.
Earlier this month, it was revealed that Glyn Hopkin, previously the majority shareholder and a director, had ceased funding the National League club.
The Essex club then had their trip to Halifax Town called off just over an hour before kick-off, with the match now rearranged for March 13.
Last week also saw former skipper Scott Doe terminate his contract by mutual consent, while Sam Ling and Morgan Ferrier, both key figures this term, depart.
On Saturday, Daggers suffered a 2-0 defeat at home to Aldershot Town in front of the BT Sport cameras, but Pennell says he was pleased to get back to the day job after one of the most turbulent periods in Daggers’ short history.
“We just want to play football and that’s what all the lads are here to do,” said the 22-year-old.
“All the other stuff, we leave that to the people behind the desks. We’re just here to play football.”
Against Aldershot, Daggers conceded early in each half to fall to a fourth straight loss in the league.
Jim Kellerman opened the scoring for Shots in the fourth minute, before Scott Rendell doubled the lead for Gary Waddock’s men in the 49th minute.
And Pennell says conceding early in each half made it difficult for Daggers to get anything out of the game.
“It’s difficult after conceding early in a half and maybe it’s down to a lack of concentration,” added the former Dunstable Town defender.
“We knew Aldershot’s plan was to switch the ball and have one of their forwards head it down.
“The first goal is a great finish and the second one is a little lucky, but we have to be switched on from the early stages.”