Search

Woman taken to hospital after cleaning toilet in Woodford Green

11:45 25 February 2013

A Woodford Green resident was taken to hospital after mixing bleach and toilet cleaner, releasing a dangerous and toxic gas.

The 49-year-old woman, of Regents Drive, Repton Park, was taken to Whipps Cross University Hospital after inhaling a hydrochloric gas while cleaning her bathroom on Saturday afternoon.

After accidentally mixing Harpic bleach and toilet cleaner, the woman called an ambulance after feeling unwell and was taken to the hospital in Leytonstone as a precaution.

One ambulance and a hazard area response team were called at around 3pm, followed by Woodford Green fire brigade who ventilated the property.

A spokesman for the fire station, in Snakes Lane West, Woodford Green, said: “This seems to be a problem not many people know about, and the crew has been called out to a number of similar incidents recently.

“This is something any of us could do by mistake, and most bottles only have a small warning on them.”

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 18:31

As fireworks and sparklers light up the skies above Redbridge, residents are being urged to be extra careful during another Fire Brigade Union strike.

Yesterday, 13:51
Pupils sitting an exam. Picture: PA/David Jones

Redbridge is home to some of the country’s brightest pupils with more than three quarters achieving five or more A* to C GCSE grades according to new figures.

Yesterday, 11:30
Planned engineering work could affect your journey this weekend.

There is a relatively minor programme of planned closures on the Tube and Overground network this weekend - but they could still affect your journey. Read on for the lowdown.

Yesterday, 09:37
Survivor of the Trilokpuri killings in East Delhi - a photo from the 1984 Anti-Sikh Pogroms Remembered exhibition at the Wiener Library in Russell Square. Photo: Ram Rahman

WARNING: The image on this page contains graphic content.

Most read news

“Space is hard and today was a tough day.”

One pilot is dead and another seriously injured after the craft exploded over the Mojave desert.

One pilot has died and another is seriously injured after a rocket belonging to billionaire Sir Richard Branson’s space tourism venture crashed during a test flight. Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo rocket came down in the Mojave Desert in California. An eyewitness reported that the craft exploded in flight after ignition. A Virgin Galactic spokesman said the […]

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition