Search

Woman taken to hospital after cleaning toilet in Woodford Green

11:45 25 February 2013

A Woodford Green resident was taken to hospital after mixing bleach and toilet cleaner, releasing a dangerous and toxic gas.

The 49-year-old woman, of Regents Drive, Repton Park, was taken to Whipps Cross University Hospital after inhaling a hydrochloric gas while cleaning her bathroom on Saturday afternoon.

After accidentally mixing Harpic bleach and toilet cleaner, the woman called an ambulance after feeling unwell and was taken to the hospital in Leytonstone as a precaution.

One ambulance and a hazard area response team were called at around 3pm, followed by Woodford Green fire brigade who ventilated the property.

A spokesman for the fire station, in Snakes Lane West, Woodford Green, said: “This seems to be a problem not many people know about, and the crew has been called out to a number of similar incidents recently.

“This is something any of us could do by mistake, and most bottles only have a small warning on them.”

0 comments

Latest Ilford News Stories

Yesterday, 13:15
The Lodge care home in Goodmayes. Picture: Google Street View

A carer who failed to call an ambulance when she found a vulnerable woman drowning in the bath has been jailed for four-and-a-half months.

Yesterday, 17:13
Matthew Hopkins, Chief Executive of Queen’s and King George hospitals

The trust running King George Hospital has insisted a timeline for downgrading the A&E has not yet been drawn up.

Yesterday, 16:13
Ian Hislop talks to students about his education and career at the Isaac Newton Academy in Ilford

Pupils at the Isaac Newton Academy received the entertaining visit of the satirist and comedian Ian Hislop.

Yesterday, 16:05
Redbridge College students praised along with staff for achieving a good Ofsted report

Redbridge College staff are delighted following a glowing Ofsted report that rated key areas of teaching and leadership as “good”.

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Surface Pro 4

Technology is ever evolving. We are constantly being shown new technology that is innovative, revolutionary and designed to make life easier for us all. Gone are the days of dial up modems and computers so large you needed half a room to store it. We are in the age of smooth, small and sleek. Companies are all trying their best to create technology that is easy to transport and guaranteed to be user friendly.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Ilford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe