Search

Woman ‘lucky’ to escape Seven Kings house fire after leaving candle burning overnight

09:35 02 January 2013

A woman escaped a house fire in Seven Kings this morning after she left a candle burning overnight.

The blaze was started when the candle burnt too low and the fire spread to burn a hole in the floor at the house in Leeds Road.

A 61-year-old woman escaped the house after being woken up by smoke and called the fire brigade at 7.15am.

She was not injured but one room was damaged.

Fire crews who went to the scene said they installed smoke detectors after the house was found to have no alarms.

A firefighter said: “The woman was lucky that the door to the room was closed.

“Candles should never be left unattended and people should make sure they are properly extinguished.”

The London Fire Brigade fits smoke detectors for free and can give fire prevention advice.

Visit www.london-fire.gov.uk to arrange a home visit.

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Househunter turned employee Jess Rodgers

It’s not every day a visit to a housing development turns into a new job – but that’s what happened to one 26-year-old from South Woodford.

Disaster Chef Laura Grant

A marketing professional with a terrible track record in the kitchen has been named one of the most hopeless cooks in Britain.

Yesterday, 15:00
Barkingside's Make Believe Panto

The stars of Barkingside’s Make Believe performing arts company took part in their Christmas pantomime last week.

Yesterday, 09:00
Artist Lucy Harrison at the free motion sewing event at Regent Home of Sewing in Ilford

The Ilford Palais nightclub, the Ilford Hippodrome and Fairchilds department store were all famous landmarks in the borough which have now been resigned to history.

Most read news

And they have a role to play in saving their species.

Twinkle, twinkle you little stars – thanks for making your homes so festive.

Offers for university places are at a record high.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition