Search

Woman ‘lucky’ to escape Seven Kings house fire after leaving candle burning overnight

09:35 02 January 2013

A woman escaped a house fire in Seven Kings this morning after she left a candle burning overnight.

The blaze was started when the candle burnt too low and the fire spread to burn a hole in the floor at the house in Leeds Road.

A 61-year-old woman escaped the house after being woken up by smoke and called the fire brigade at 7.15am.

She was not injured but one room was damaged.

Fire crews who went to the scene said they installed smoke detectors after the house was found to have no alarms.

A firefighter said: “The woman was lucky that the door to the room was closed.

“Candles should never be left unattended and people should make sure they are properly extinguished.”

The London Fire Brigade fits smoke detectors for free and can give fire prevention advice.

Visit www.london-fire.gov.uk to arrange a home visit.

0 comments

Latest Ilford News Stories

Yesterday, 17:31
Cranbrook School in Mansfield Road, Ilford could close by July.

Parents were left shaking in anger after they received an email informing them their children’s school could close by July.

Yesterday, 16:56
Chris Penny and Gavin Happe are selling Ha'penny Brewing Co after seven years of making ales and bitters in Aldborough Hatch.

The borough’s only craft brewery has switched hands, and the bitters and porters will be replaced by dark Belgian beers.

Yesterday, 15:25
Seven Kings Station upgrade. Photo: Transport for London

Ilford Station’s York Road entrance will close on Monday February 22 until the middle of 2016 as work gets underway in preparation for Crossrail services.

Yesterday, 14:37
South Park Primary School had a numbers day where pupils dressed up as things to do with numbers

School pupils have been getting stuck in with all kinds of number-related fun.

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Champagne experience

This Valentine’s Day, the Coca-Cola London Eye is the perfect destination for lovebirds, offering a range of romantic experiences from Friday 12th February - Sunday 14th February 2016.

Sony Smart Ultra HD 55'' LED TV

Enjoy the ultimate entertainment experience in your living room with the Sony Smart Ultra 55’’ LED TV. Be the envy of all your friends with this huge TV- you can change your living room into your own cinema! Get the boys around to watch the football or get the girls around to watch the DVD of 50 Shades.. this is a prize that everyone would enjoy! Stand a chance to upgrade your current entertainment system by wining this fantastic prize.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Ilford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe