Search

Woman taken to hospital after cleaning toilet in Woodford Green

PUBLISHED: 11:45 25 February 2013 | UPDATED: 11:45 25 February 2013

A Woodford Green resident was taken to hospital after mixing bleach and toilet cleaner, releasing a dangerous and toxic gas.

The 49-year-old woman, of Regents Drive, Repton Park, was taken to Whipps Cross University Hospital after inhaling a hydrochloric gas while cleaning her bathroom on Saturday afternoon.

After accidentally mixing Harpic bleach and toilet cleaner, the woman called an ambulance after feeling unwell and was taken to the hospital in Leytonstone as a precaution.

One ambulance and a hazard area response team were called at around 3pm, followed by Woodford Green fire brigade who ventilated the property.

A spokesman for the fire station, in Snakes Lane West, Woodford Green, said: “This seems to be a problem not many people know about, and the crew has been called out to a number of similar incidents recently.

“This is something any of us could do by mistake, and most bottles only have a small warning on them.”

0 comments

Latest Ilford News Stories

Ilford residents have one last weekend to enjoy feeding the town’s pigeons before the act becomes illegal on Monday under new legislation.

Yesterday, 19:33

Parliamentary candidates have tonight been reacting to the news that Ukip will not be fielding a candidate in Ilford North to try and ensure a pro-Brexit MP is elected come June 8.

Yesterday, 17:44

Ukip will not be fielding candidates in three Redbridge constituencies in the upcoming general election, in attempt to help pro-Brexit candidates get elected.

Yesterday, 15:00

The spectacular success of a police sting that “cut the head off” a vast drug dealing racket at Ilford station was fully revealed last night.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Ilford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now