Woman ‘lucky’ to escape Seven Kings house fire after leaving candle burning overnight
PUBLISHED: 09:35 02 January 2013 | UPDATED: 09:51 02 January 2013
A woman escaped a house fire in Seven Kings this morning after she left a candle burning overnight.
The blaze was started when the candle burnt too low and the fire spread to burn a hole in the floor at the house in Leeds Road.
A 61-year-old woman escaped the house after being woken up by smoke and called the fire brigade at 7.15am.
She was not injured but one room was damaged.
Fire crews who went to the scene said they installed smoke detectors after the house was found to have no alarms.
A firefighter said: “The woman was lucky that the door to the room was closed.
“Candles should never be left unattended and people should make sure they are properly extinguished.”
The London Fire Brigade fits smoke detectors for free and can give fire prevention advice.
Visit www.london-fire.gov.uk to arrange a home visit.