Search

Width restriction blackspot in Clayhall changed after two accidents in two days

09:57 29 January 2013

A notorious width restriction in a Clayhall road is finally being changed after two drivers were injured in two crashes in two days.

Both vehicles ploughed into the same metal post at the restriction in Longwood Gardens while travelling towards Barkingside.

On Saturday, a 45-year-old woman was treated for chest injuries by paramedics after her car hit the post shortly before 6pm.

At 5.15pm on Sunday, a man and woman were trapped in their car after the front was crushed on impact with the restriction.

Firefighters from Ilford, Hainault and East Ham had to cut off the roof to release them and the 85-year-old driver was taken to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.

He was taken from the scene on a stretcher with a collar and spinal board. His condition is not known.

Although the width restriction has been in place since 1980, councillors have reported a spate of accidents in recent months.

The metal posts were re-aligned when it was refurbished in March last year but the width of the restriction has not changed.

At 7ft 6ins, the posts are within Department of Transport guidelines and aim to stop heavy goods vehicles from cutting down the residential road.

Cllr Ashley Kissin was at the scene of the accident on Sunday.

He said: “The road was a mess, the firefighters had to cut them out the car.

“I have lived around the corner for over 25 years but since Christmas there has been a spate of accidents.

“We can’t work out a reason why it has got so bad.”

At last week’s Area Four meeting, Clayhall and Barkingside councillors asked for a report on the restriction.

Residents had expressed concerns about accidents and Ilford North MP Lee Scott had received a petition for change.

The painted metal posts have already been replaced with reflective plastic bollards since the weekend.

Cllr Kissin said if there are further collisions “the bollard will come off worse than the car”.

The width restriction could be entirely changed after the report is presented in April.

0 comments

Latest News Stories

13 minutes ago
Vicky Hobart, Redbridge director of public health

Almost a quarter of children who died in Redbridge last year had parents who were blood relations, a report has revealed.

07:00
Glasbury House, which is being sold by Redbridge Council.

Campaigners made a last ditch attempt to save a popular children’s outdoor centre during last night’s full council meeting.

Yesterday, 17:16
Redbridge Mini Games at the Redbridge Sports Centre.
Mossford School V St Aidens School  ( Football )

Youngsters have been burning off energy this week taking part in a wide range of sporty events.

Yesterday, 17:10
The device which Simion used at the ATMs he targeted.

A 55-year-old man who installed devices to cash points across London to steal money from customers has been jailed.

Most read news

Competitions

Time to experience the dizzy heights of London's tallest attraction!

Morgan Pryce, commercial property experts based in London are offering one lucky reader the chance to win a pair of tickets to The Shard viewing platform in the city itself.

Cheers!

We’re giving you the chance to win six cases of this fab Bradshaw Chardonnay.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder