Search

Seven Kings couple rush home from holiday to dishwasher fire

07:56 28 August 2014

A couple returned home after they were called by a firefighter telling them that their kitchen was filled with smoke after they left their dishwasher on.

A couple returned home after they were called by a firefighter telling them that their kitchen was filled with smoke after they left their dishwasher on.

TONY GAY at tonephote@aol.com

A kitchen was set alight last night after a couple left their dishwasher on when they left their house to go on holiday.

The London Fire Brigade were called to the scene in Westwood Road, Seven Kings, at 7.40pm, where they discovered a kitchen filled with smoke as a dishwasher had been left on for at least an hour.

The owners of the house were on their way to Wales for their holiday but had to stop and turn back when they got a call from a firefighter telling them that their kitchen had been on fire.

A London Fire Brigade Spokesman said: “People often go to bed and leave their dishwashers on while they’re sleeping and this is very dangerous.

“The couple had a smoke alarm so if they were here they would have woken up but if they didn’t they would have died. Smoke is lethal and can kill so I urge people to turn everything off before they go to bed.”

Latest News Stories

57 minutes ago
Picture: Katie Collins/PA

7.20am: Minor delays on the District Line due to an earlier signal failure.

Wohl Ilford Jewish Primary School pupils getting involved in Mitzvah Day 2013.

Mitzvah Day - the worldwide social action event - is just as important as monetary contributions to charities.

Yesterday, 18:55
The power cut is causing delays between Liverpool Street and Shenfield

Trains between Liverpool Street and Shenfield are delayed this evening due to electrical supply problems at Forest Gate.

Yesterday, 15:35
The pharmacy team, trust chief executive Matthew Hopkins, and Lauren’s family - including her son Janson and her mum and dad, Sylvia and Cyril Simmons

A memorial bench in tribute to a pharmacy technician who lost her battle with breast cancer at the age of 50 has been unveiled at King George Hospital.

Most read news

Looking for a holiday? We know a company that are keen to flog you a trip to the land of Kim Jong-un.

Biffo and Bobo better stay away from the town of Vendargues this Halloween.

As a state of emergency is declared in Burkina Faso, what does the future hold for its president and people?

It might not be moving very fast but it’s still causing problems.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition