July 25 2014 Latest news:
Friday, April 11, 2014
Activist Danny O’Brien says that despite knife crime figures falling in Redbridge awareness of the issue is still important.
Danny of Cameron Road, Seven Kings, last year mobilised twitter followers and celebrities alike in to posting pictures of themselves with their thumbs down as part of his “Thumbs Down to Knife Crime” campaign.
The initiative is back again this year and Danny believes it is important to keep getting the message across.
He said: “Things have got much better in the borough but it’s important to make sure people are always aware of the negative impact that knife crime can have on the lives of everybody, not just young people, and this year’s initiative aims to keep the spotlight firmly on the issue.”
Thumbs Down to Knife Crime 2014 is a three month campaign asking people to send in pictures of themselves performing the hand gesture, identical to last year’s campaign.
However this time Danny has set a more ambitious target in terms of the number of thumbs down photos he hopes to receive.
In 2013 the campaign received over 800 photos and this time Mr O’Brien has set a target of 1500.
He said: “So far we’re up to 1238 which has smashed what we were able to achieve last year. If we can get up to the 1500 mark that would be fantastic.”
As well as Nitin Ganatra and Right Said Fred this years celebrity participants include Boy George, actor Graham Cole and Leyton Orient footballer Gary Sawyer.
To get involved in the campaign simply post your thumbs down picture on Twitter using the hashtag #thumbsdown2knifecrime2014