Redbridge firefighters to strike for eight consecutive days
17:10 04 July 2014
Firefighters in Redbridge will strike on eight consecutive days this month in their long running row with the government over pensions.
Fire Brigades Union members also walkout next Thursday as part of a huge strike by more than a million public workers.
But the eight days - from July 14-21 - form an escalation in the action. The union says that the current proposals on pensions and later retirement age are “unacceptable, unworkable and unrealistic”.
Matt Wrack, FBU general secretary, said: “The government must realise that firefighters cannot accept proposals that would have such devastating consequences for their futures, their families’ futures - and the future of the fire and rescue service itself.
“We have tried every route available to us to make the government see sense over their attacks.
“Three years of negotiations have come to nothing because the government is simply unwilling to compromise or even listen to reason despite a huge amount of evidence showing their planned scheme is unworkable.”
Fire Minister Brandon Lewis previously said: “The government believes a solution can be reached, but not under the shadow of industrial action, which only serves to damage firefighters’ good standing with the public.
“The deal on the table is fair and gives firefighters one of the most generous pensions in the public sector.”
He added: “Public safety will remain the primary focus. All fire and rescue authorities have robust and well tested plans in place that include back up support if needed.”
The strikes will take place on:
Monday July 14 : between 6am-8am and 5pm-7pm;
Tuesday July 15 : 6am-8am and 5pm-7pm;
Wednesday July 16 : 6am-8am and 5pm-7pm;
Thursday July 17 : 6am-8am and 5pm-7pm;
Friday July 18: 6am-8am and 11pm-1am on Saturday July 19;
Saturday July 19: 11am-1pm and 11pm-1am on Sunday July 20;
Sunday July 20: 5pm -7pm;
Monday July 21: 6am-8am and 5pm-7pm.