Search

Redbridge firefighters to mount fresh eight day strike

15:43 31 July 2014

The action is the latest in a series of walk-outs in the dispute

The action is the latest in a series of walk-outs in the dispute

Archant

Firefighters in the borough are to strike over another eight consecutive days in their row with the government over pensions, it has been announced.

The Fire Brigades Union (FBU) says the changes are unworkable and would mean firefighters working into their 60s, with the risk that they will face dismissal if they fail rigorous fitness tests.

General secretary Matt Wrack said: “It is absolutely ludicrous that a government can impose a scheme which means that firefighters will have to ride engines and rescue people from fires up to age 60.

“This is unsafe and unrealistic for both firefighters and the public.”

Fire minister Penny Mordaunt said the FBU action was “completely futile and counterproductive”.

She said: “My respect for firefighters and what they do, the safety of the public and the future of the service will be my motivation in office. This will not be altered or diminished by strikes or the threat of strikes.

“The action by the FBU is completely futile and counterproductive to the interests of their members and the public. I hope they will soon realise that and re-engage so we can get this situation swiftly resolved.

“I want to thank those unions who have continued to engage on these important issues and the huge efforts made by those firefighters, officers and staff in manning contingency arrangements during strike periods.”

Firefighters will down tools between 12pm-2pm and 22.59pm-23.59pm every day from August 9-16.

Latest News Stories

17 minutes ago
The road in Thetford, Norfolk, where Ted McDermott was tragically killed last week.

A golf society’s day out ended in tragedy when one of its elderly members was killed after being hit by a van.

King George Hospital

Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Trust (BHRUT) hospitals are to receive a full Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspection this week.

13:07
Developers want to demolish the Shannon Centre, which acts as a bar at the moment, and build a six-storey block of flats.

Plans to knock down an “historic” building and replace it with a block of flats have been approved.

12:15
MP for Ilford North, Lee Scott

The MP for Ilford North will reveal the harrowing details of the anti-Semitic behaviour he has endured on a radio programme to be aired on Thursday.

Most read news

Climbers are leaving a big mess on the world’s highest peak.

Family talk of devastation as police find body parts in hunt for missing teenager.

Police have released the video as they work to track down Alan Cartwright’s attackers.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24
Our trusted business finder