Redbridge fire commander: ‘We will still make emergency response times if cuts go ahead’

10:42 28 January 2013

Borough commander Steve Brown in front of the appliances

Borough commander Steve Brown in front of the appliances


Redbridge fire commander Steve Brown has said the brigade will still be able to get to Redbridge fires in target time despite planned cuts to stations bordering the borough.

Redbridge’s three fire stations look to be safe from the axe as swingeing cuts are planned for stations across London.

But proposed changes to fire stations surrounding the borough in Newham and Waltham Forest could mean extra work for firefighters at Ilford, Woodford and Hainault.

Mr Brown said: “I’m pleased that Hainault wasn’t chosen for closure but the changes will have a wide-ranging effect on the brigade.

“From Redbridge’s point of view there’s a minor increase in first and second response times of one and eight seconds respectively.

“But in my opinion, in the big scheme of things that’s going to have a minimal effect because we will still maintain our target response times.”

The number of fires is falling and Mr Brown hopes that will community fire safety awareness, work with landlords and tenants, home safety visits and co-operation with other emergency services, the trend will continue.

The government and Mayor of London have ordered a £28.8million budget cut to the London Fire Brigade over the next two years.

Chingford, Leyton and Leytonstone could each lose one of their two fire engines and 520 firefighters would need to go across the brigade, hopefully without compulsory redundancies.

The London Fire Authority rejected the closure plans on Monday but mayor Boris Johnson used his powers to overrule them.

A final decision is expected in June following public consultation.


Latest Ilford News Stories

Police at the scene of the shooting

A man charged with attempted murder and possession of a shotgun was unable to appear in court on Friday due to the video link not working.

Award winning volunteer Violet Pace at Haven House.

The longest-serving volunteer of a charity providing care to sick children and their families was honoured at a glitzy awards ceremony earlier this month.

Newbury Park Station, where step free access has been 'an ongoing saga' according to the letter.

Three leading Redbridge politicians have penned an open letter calling for step free access at Newbury Park Station to once again be made a priority.

Redbridge Town Hall

A High Court judge has criticised Redbridge Council social services bosses over their handling of a case involving a two-year-old girl who may be taken from the care of her mother.

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read news


Show Job Lists


£3,000 goes a long way at Boots

Cosmetics, toiletries, vitamins and more. Boots is the number one choice when it comes to purchasing daily essentials.

Kit yourself out and go Apple mad!

If you’re obsessed with Apple or just love a good gadget, this is a prize that will blow you away! An incredible £3,333 to spend on Apple goodies! How would you like to be the proud new owner of the Apple Watch?

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Ilford Recorder
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now