Search

Resident presents councillors with bag of fast food rubbish in protest against takeaway numbers

08:00 23 January 2013

Joan Thomas outside a row of takeaways in Goodmayes Road.

Joan Thomas outside a row of takeaways in Goodmayes Road.

Archant

A black bin bag full of takeaway rubbish was brought to a council meeting by one Goodmayes resident sick of litter outside her home.

Joan Thomas, of Goodmayes Lane, said she had collected the wrappers, packets and boxes in just a few minutes.

She asked Redbridge Council’s area five committee to take action to reduce the number of fast food outlets in the area at their meeting on Monday.

Mrs Thomas said: “I think it’s really ironic that when government is going on about obesity and we have all these fast food shops.

“How do we know these places are even safe to eat at?

“These places are full of children.

“I’m appalled at the state of Goodmayes Road.”

Last year, the council approved a cut to evening street sweeps but the service has now been reinstated in an effort to reduce litter.

Committee chairman Cllr Barbara White said she attempted to introduce a motion to ban takeaways near schools after she was elected in 2010 but it was not supported by the full council.

The council has no powers to shut existing shops down but are trying to limit the number of hot food takeaways.

But restaurants selling food for consumption on the premises are not yet limited.

As part of the Crossrail regeneration scheme, there will be a target limit of five per cent of high street properties being takeaways.

0 comments

Latest Ilford News Stories

07:00
The Valentine, which was established 87-years-ago, has announced that it will close. Picture: Google maps

People in their hundreds took to social media, after it was announced that The Valentine pub will close.

Yesterday, 17:30
Stock picture of a kitten

A cat who was decapitated and dumped in a pond is the latest victim of a notorious feline killer, animal welfare campaigners say.

Yesterday, 17:12
The Tube strike will cause travel misery for thousands of people    Picture: PA/Nick Ansell

Commuters heading into London will not be able to use the Central line before 7am on Wednesday if the planned Tube strike goes ahead.

Yesterday, 16:23
Work is set to begin on 148 new council houses in Redbridge.

Plans for almost 150 new council houses are one step closer to reality after two more developments were granted planning permission last week.

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Are you in need of a new kitchen? Try our competition and you could win a brand new one!

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

MyOffers H&M Competition

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Ilford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now