Resident presents councillors with bag of fast food rubbish in protest against takeaway numbers
PUBLISHED: 08:00 23 January 2013 | UPDATED: 17:20 23 January 2013
A black bin bag full of takeaway rubbish was brought to a council meeting by one Goodmayes resident sick of litter outside her home.
Joan Thomas, of Goodmayes Lane, said she had collected the wrappers, packets and boxes in just a few minutes.
She asked Redbridge Council’s area five committee to take action to reduce the number of fast food outlets in the area at their meeting on Monday.
Mrs Thomas said: “I think it’s really ironic that when government is going on about obesity and we have all these fast food shops.
“How do we know these places are even safe to eat at?
“These places are full of children.
“I’m appalled at the state of Goodmayes Road.”
Last year, the council approved a cut to evening street sweeps but the service has now been reinstated in an effort to reduce litter.
Committee chairman Cllr Barbara White said she attempted to introduce a motion to ban takeaways near schools after she was elected in 2010 but it was not supported by the full council.
The council has no powers to shut existing shops down but are trying to limit the number of hot food takeaways.
But restaurants selling food for consumption on the premises are not yet limited.
As part of the Crossrail regeneration scheme, there will be a target limit of five per cent of high street properties being takeaways.