Search

Redbridge youth services facing cuts set to gain £500k council funding boost

17:17 04 January 2013

Half a million pounds of additional funding to keep weekly youth centre sessions, save the borough’s Duke of Edinburgh bronze award scheme and help young people get into work have been identified, according to the deputy council leader.

Cllr Ian Bond and council leader Cllr Keith Prince met with representatives of Redbridge’s Youth Council yesterday to discuss proposals for extra funding.

Youth services in the borough were set to take a funding hit which would have seen a reduced number of sessions at its three youth centres and the end of its Duke of Edinburgh bronze award scheme.

The Youth Council surveyed 1,000 young people on which services they most highly valued.

Maintaining the current provision of youth centre sessions and the DofE award were judged the first and second priorities respectively.

Cllr Bond said: “Our savings programme is going quite well and we’ve been ahead of target on savings so far.

“And we’ve had new government support on school places.

“It’s those two factors that have given us some wiggle room.”

He said a funding reduction of £400,000 to the Connexions service, which works with vulnerable young people who are not in education, employment or training, will now be scaled back to £76,000.

He said: “This will enable Connexions to maintain most of its information, advice and guidance support as well as this year’s opening times, which were due to reduce next year.”

The borough’s youth centres in Huntsman Road, Hainault; Loxford Lane, Ilford and Elmcroft Avenue, Wanstead, provide afterschool clubs, holiday activities and sports facilities.

Weekly sessions were set to decrease from 18 to 12.

The proposals have been informally discussed with cabinet members, according to Cllr Bond, and will be presented at Tuesday’s cabinet meeting.

They will then go forward as part of the budget proposals set to be agreed by a full council meeting on February 28.

Cllr Bond said: “We know that many young people face challenging circumstances right now, and so I am very pleased that we have found extra money to protect the services that they value.”

0 comments

Latest News Stories

The Redbridge Music School brass band at the Mayor's Carol Service at Southwark Cathedral.

A parent teacher association has been accused of running a “campaign of fear” against a proposal to scrap funding for Redbridge Music Service.

Yesterday, 17:30
Years three to six stood outside Fairlop Primary School to raise awareness of parents parking outside the school and the danger of it.

Youngsters at Fairlop Primary School have been getting involved in a safety campaign.

Yesterday, 16:37
Mayoress Hilary Kissin, mayor Cllr Ashley Kissin and students Alison Sartor and Dominic Hartfree-Pearce

Sixth form students presented the mayors of London and Redbridge with banners to mark 70 years since the Nazis’ most infamous concentration camp was liberated.

Yesterday, 16:29

GP commissioners have said they are “extremely disappointed” after Redbridge Council agreed to refer Wanstead Hospital ward closure plans to Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt.

Most read news

New research finds that men are more partial to a posed self-portrait than women.

Did you feel the Earth move?

The drug is already on offer to patients in 21 other countries, including France and Germany.

Little chihuahua Digby has become best friends with a Neapolitan mastiff.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24
Our trusted business finder