Police make 400 arrests and cautions in prostitution crackdown

08:52 12 February 2014

Police have made almost 400 arrests and cautions in the last year in a crackdown on prostitution around Ilford Lane.

As part of Operation Clear Light, 76 prostitutes have been arrested for offences including loitering and soliciting and 281 more were cautioned.

A report presented to Redbridge Council’s cabinet last night said kerb crawlers were also being targeted to stop them visiting the area.

Speaking at the meeting at Redbridge Town Hall, Cllr Shoaib Patel (Lib Dem, Valentines) said that of four suspected kerb crawlers in court in January, two were fined, one was cautioned and one man was awaiting trial after pleading not guilty.

He added: “The aim is to stop people from using the area.”

An average of five prostitutes are seen in Ilford Lane a night, he said, which is less than before the operation.

An outreach programme is also being offered to women to help them leave the industry and combat addictions.

After complaints from residents, car parks, alleyways and flower beds used by prostitutes with clients are being fenced off or removed.


Latest News Stories

Redbridge gave the third most fines out of all local authorities in the country, for parents taking their children out of school during term time in the last academic year. Photo: Dave Thompson/PA Wire

A teacher’s union representative has told parents to “lie” when taking their children out of school in term times to avoid “stupid” fines.

Yesterday, 14:31
Polly Chowdhury, left, and Kiki Muddar, right, were convicted of the manslaughter of Chowdhury's daughter, eight-year-old Ayesha Ali in March. Yesterday their sentences were cut from 18 to 15 years for Muddar and from 13 to 10 for Chowdhury at the Court of Appeal

A woman convicted of killing her eight-year-old daughter had her sentence reduced at the Court of Appeal this morning.

Yesterday, 12:12
Mitzvah lunch at the Bet Tikvah Synagogue

A synagogue held a fundraising lunch for a homeless hostel.

Yesterday, 10:59
Polce at the sheltered housing unit where Mr Down and Mr Mallin lived, off Cecil Road, Ilford, shortly after arresting Mr Mallin on September 5. Photo: Ken Mears

An Ilford sheltered housing resident accused of stabbing his neighbours to death denied the double murder at the Old Bailey today.

Most read news


Tesco - Every little helps

Would you like to have the opportunity to win a huge £2,500 to spend at Tesco? Well with this amazing prize you can do exactly that! MyOffers are giving you the chance to get your hands on £2,500 to spend on anything you desire may it be free weekly groceries for the foreseeable future, a new TV, home decoration or even a new sofa!

You could get your hands on the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge!

Here’s your chance to win one of the most feature-packed smartphones on the planet, from tech giants Samsung, The Samsung S6 Edge!

Digital Edition

Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder