Search

Council - Woodbridge and Mayfield schools expansion plans get backing despite objections

14:31 18 January 2013

Despite councillors concerns over “overcrowding” and questioning the reasons behind a school’s selection, the council will continue with controversial expansion plans for two Redbridge secondary schools.

After the original decision was requisitioned by Cllr Gywneth Deakins, Cllr Richard Hoskins and Cllr Felicity Banks, Redbridge councillors voted against their motion at Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford yesterday evening.

The plan to expand Woodbridge High School, Saint Barnabas Road, Woodford Green and Mayfield School, Pedley Road, Goodmayes by six forms of entry will go ahead after 55 votes to four.

Cllr Deakins said: “I have concerns about overcrowding at Woodbridge. It was originally designed for 800 pupils, not 2,000. The school has very little recreation space already.

“I think serious consideration should be given to other sites. If the need for places continues we need to be more imaginative. If expanding our school’s don’t go well, I don’t detect a plan B.”

A total of 423 people responded to the original consultation process with 73 per cent saying they were in favour of the proposal to expand the school.

Cllr Hoskins said: “We have new homes being built which will swamp the infrastructure so why are we expanding a school on the edge of the borough?

“The council certainly can’t be attracted by the size of the campus, it is one of the smallest.

“The strategy for school expansion is not satisfactory, and it needs more explanation.”

Cllr Ross Hatfull disagreed: “Councillors aren’t taking the school places crisis seriously. Each week I see families who can’t find their children a school. We either expand our schools’ current sites or deny children a place.

“I promised to do everything I could to help ease this problem. Expansion does concern me, but its better than the alternative. There is space at Woodbridge thanks to an unused piece of land.”

Cllr Alan Weinberg said he was “saddened” that the motion had been requisitioned.

He added: “The expansion would mean greater flexibility, smaller groupings, money to attract the best staff, a remodelled canteen and sports facilities.”

“It is my duty to provide school places in the borough.”

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Richard Blanco from the National Landlords Association

A licensing scheme aiming to bring up housing standards across Redbridge has been criticised by landlords who warn it could increase tenants’ rents.

The panel of Cllr Wes Streeting, Cllr Jas Athwal, the council leader, Cllr Paul Canal and Simon Barry take residents' questions.

Promises were both made and reiterated at the second local forum, despite resident’s fears a lack of decision-making would hinder the council’s new feature.

Drivers perform U turns in Clayhall avenue

A ban on U-turns at a busy junction looks set to be scrapped after a campaign by residents opposing the plan.

12:37
Mum Jothini Sriskandapalan, pictured with her son Ajishan, was killed in a car crash on May 13, 2013

The four-year-old son of a woman killed in Newbury Park by a speeding driver from Harold Hill still asks when she is coming home from work, a court heard.

Most read news

Eddie said that despite being sexually attracted to children, he’s never committed a crime and that there’s many more like him.

PM speaks out after Lee Rigby report is made public calling one internet firm a ‘safe haven’.

Social network named in media reports as the platform used by extremists and criticised in government report.

The security services were not in a position to stop the attack on Lee Rigby, but an internet firm might have been able to help foil the plot.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition