‘One Direction of dance’ starring Hainault teen to appear on Got to Dance

09:01 09 August 2014

Boyband appearing in their audition on Got to Dance series five.

Boyband appearing in their audition on Got to Dance series five.

?Matt Frost for Sky 1 HD.06.05.14

Eighteen-year-old Mike McNeish will be taking the stage by storm on prime time reality TV contest Got To Dance.

Boyband appearing in their audition on Got to Dance series five.Boyband appearing in their audition on Got to Dance series five.

Mike, of Hainault, is part of the five-piece dance group Boyband who will star in the fifth series of the hit show, which returns on Saturday when the auditions are aired.

He has just finished sixth form at West Hatch High School in Chigwell, and says the modern dance troupe – who have been dubbed the One Direction of dance – were excited about finding out if they had got through the auditions.

“We are waiting to hear what’s going to happen and just hoping for the best.

“It was nerve-wracking – even though we are quite used to performing as a group because we perform quite a lot.

“Each of us felt different before the performance. I just went out there and did the best that I could.”

Mike, Dylan Movoral, Michael Ureta, Jaih Betote and Corey Culverwell are competing for the top prize of £250,000.

The boys, who have been friends for five years, formed the group after training together at ZooNation dance company.

They will be playing lead roles in Groove On Down The Road, a remake of the Wizard of Oz, at the Southbank Centre from next week.

But Mike said the five had only been rehearsing their act for Got to Dance for a month before the audition.

Asked about the name, Mike said the group wanted to bring their different personalities 
to the stage.

“It’s a name that works well with the competition,” he said. “We do have a boyband image.”

Despite the high profile of the show, this will not be the teenagers’ first television appearance.

Through ZooNation, Mike said they had previously appeared on Blue Peter and danced as extras in The Harry Hill Movie.

The self-confessed “mummies’ boys” have said they want to win to make their mums proud of them.

Mike, who lives with his parents Sandra and Godfrey and is the youngest of four, said his family had been really encouraging.

“They are really supportive of me but none of them dance themselves,” he said.

See how Boyband do when Got to Dance returns. Sky1 HD, Saturday August 9, 8pm


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ilford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ilford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ilford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest News Stories

Leader of the Tories Cllr Paul Canal, left, and leader of the council Cllr Jas Athwal, right, as well as Cllr Ian Bond, leader of the Liberal Democrats, paid tribute to the victims of terrorist attacks at full council.

Leaders of the three parties in Redbridge Council paid tribute to those who died in the Paris attacks and other terrorist atrocities.

Redbridge Council have extended the 30 minutes free on street parking in Ilford town centre. Photo: Steve Poston

Shoppers in Ilford town centre are set to enjoy the same 30 minutes free parking perk as the rest of the borough.

Yesterday, 14:31
Polly Chowdhury, left, and Kiki Muddar, right, were convicted of the manslaughter of Chowdhury's daughter, eight-year-old Ayesha Ali in March. Yesterday their sentences were cut from 18 to 15 years for Muddar and from 13 to 10 for Chowdhury at the Court of Appeal

A woman convicted of killing her eight-year-old daughter had her sentence reduced at the Court of Appeal this morning.

Yesterday, 12:12
Mitzvah lunch at the Bet Tikvah Synagogue

A synagogue held a fundraising lunch for a homeless hostel.

Most read news


Tesco - Every little helps

Would you like to have the opportunity to win a huge £2,500 to spend at Tesco? Well with this amazing prize you can do exactly that! MyOffers are giving you the chance to get your hands on £2,500 to spend on anything you desire may it be free weekly groceries for the foreseeable future, a new TV, home decoration or even a new sofa!

You could get your hands on the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge!

Here’s your chance to win one of the most feature-packed smartphones on the planet, from tech giants Samsung, The Samsung S6 Edge!

Digital Edition

Read the Ilford Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder