No investigation six months after horrific school trip accident at Fairlop Waters

11:04 07 February 2013

Nearly seven months after a schoolboy’s leg was “cut to the bone” by a boat propeller on school trip at Fairlop Waters Activity Centre, no investigation has started into the incident.

The 11-year-old was raft-building with his classmates from St Mary’s Catholic Primary School, in Chingford, on July 17.

His shoelaces were reportedly caught in the propeller of a patrol boat being operated by staff at the centre in Forest Road, Barkingside.

A witness, who did not want to be named, said: “The blade cut into his calf, it was open about five inches all the way to the bone.

“He was a really brave lad. His colour went to grey and they gave him oxygen when he was in the water.”

Firefighters from Dagenham station were there on a training exercise and helped the boy, who had been in the water for some time.

The fire crew went to the boy’s aid in a boat to free his leg and called an ambulance.

After being airlifted to hospital, the boy underwent several operations.

Redbridge Council promised an investigation into the incident but to date, nothing has been started because of disagreements over who should carry it out.

Fairlop Waters Outdoor Activity Centre is operated by Vision, which runs Redbridge Council’s leisure services.

While the government’s Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said the council was the proper authority to investigate its contractor, the council has voiced concerns about a possible conflict of interest.

A spokesman said the council wrote to the HSE in September and has not had a response.

An HSE spokesman said the executive will have discussions with the authority to assist them “where appropriate”.

The activity centre has successfully renewed its licences from the Royal Yachting Association and the Adventure Activities Licensing Authority since the incident.

A Vision spokesman said: “Vision has met all the recommendations and the boat has been back in use for a considerable time.

“Vision takes its health and safety responsibilities very seriously.”


Latest Ilford News Stories

Travel delays (credit: BBC/Google)

The A127 in Upminster is closed westbound at the junction of Hall Lane and there is queuing traffic London-bound between the M25 J29 junction and the Hall Lane junction, because of an accident.

49 minutes ago
The Kenneth More Theatre, Ilford.

The performance of one of the borough’s most loved arts institutions is to be discussed by Redbridge Council tomorrow night.

Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan with Ilford South MP Mike Gapes and Redbridge Council leader, Jas Athwal at Newbury Park station in July.

Members of two community associations have welcomed the news that an open letter calling for step-free access at a tube station has been penned.

Waltham Road in Woodford Green (credit:Google)

A man in his 50s was rushed to hospital after two men allegedly threw an “unknown substance” in his face in Woodford Green.

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read news


Show Job Lists


£3,000 goes a long way at Boots

Cosmetics, toiletries, vitamins and more. Boots is the number one choice when it comes to purchasing daily essentials.

Kit yourself out and go Apple mad!

If you’re obsessed with Apple or just love a good gadget, this is a prize that will blow you away! An incredible £3,333 to spend on Apple goodies! How would you like to be the proud new owner of the Apple Watch?

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Ilford Recorder
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now