April 19 2014 Latest news:
Tuesday, January 29, 2013
A notorious width restriction in a Clayhall road is finally being changed after two drivers were injured in two crashes in two days.
Both vehicles ploughed into the same metal post at the restriction in Longwood Gardens while travelling towards Barkingside.
On Saturday, a 45-year-old woman was treated for chest injuries by paramedics after her car hit the post shortly before 6pm.
At 5.15pm on Sunday, a man and woman were trapped in their car after the front was crushed on impact with the restriction.
Firefighters from Ilford, Hainault and East Ham had to cut off the roof to release them and the 85-year-old driver was taken to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.
He was taken from the scene on a stretcher with a collar and spinal board. His condition is not known.
Although the width restriction has been in place since 1980, councillors have reported a spate of accidents in recent months.
The metal posts were re-aligned when it was refurbished in March last year but the width of the restriction has not changed.
At 7ft 6ins, the posts are within Department of Transport guidelines and aim to stop heavy goods vehicles from cutting down the residential road.
Cllr Ashley Kissin was at the scene of the accident on Sunday.
He said: “The road was a mess, the firefighters had to cut them out the car.
“I have lived around the corner for over 25 years but since Christmas there has been a spate of accidents.
“We can’t work out a reason why it has got so bad.”
At last week’s Area Four meeting, Clayhall and Barkingside councillors asked for a report on the restriction.
Residents had expressed concerns about accidents and Ilford North MP Lee Scott had received a petition for change.
The painted metal posts have already been replaced with reflective plastic bollards since the weekend.
Cllr Kissin said if there are further collisions “the bollard will come off worse than the car”.
The width restriction could be entirely changed after the report is presented in April.