August 28 2014 Latest news:
Molly Kersey, Reporter
Monday, March 17, 2014
The man who was pulled from a burning flat in Barkingside this morning is in a life-threatening condition, police said this afternoon.
He was taken to hospital by the London Air Ambulance after being rescued from the blaze in Princes Road.
A London Ambulance Service spokesman said paramedics treated a man for smoke inhalation.
A Redbridge police spokesman said early signs indicate that the fire was caused by an electrical fault.
The man is set to be transferred to a specialist burns unit.
Martin Knight, watch manager at Ilford fire station, said: “There was a fire in a ground floor flat. We rescued a gentleman from behind the front door, he couldn’t get out.
“Crews broke down the door and spotted the casualty on the floor and dragged him out.”
The property has been cordoned off by police.
Four engines from Ilford, Hainault and Woodford stations attended with 21 firefighters after being called to the scene at about 8.40am.
Investigators have been seen carrying out bags of evidence.
A woman living in the street, who did not want to be named, said: “Me and my husband went down there and there was just smoke belching out everywhere.
“I just saw it coming out the air vent, the windows were all black.”
She went to help an elderly woman, who she cares for and who lives next door to the house where the blaze occurred, to get out safely.
She added: “[The elderly woman] just phoned me and said there was a fire. I ran down to her to see if she was alright because she’s older and can’t get out.
“I just brought her down here.”
She said that there were two men living in the house, one upstairs and one downstairs.
The man living upstairs is not believed to have been in the house at the time of the fire.