September 18 2014 Latest news:
Thursday, August 28, 2014
A kitchen was set alight last night after a couple left their dishwasher on when they left their house to go on holiday.
The London Fire Brigade were called to the scene in Westwood Road, Seven Kings, at 7.40pm, where they discovered a kitchen filled with smoke as a dishwasher had been left on for at least an hour.
The owners of the house were on their way to Wales for their holiday but had to stop and turn back when they got a call from a firefighter telling them that their kitchen had been on fire.
A London Fire Brigade Spokesman said: “People often go to bed and leave their dishwashers on while they’re sleeping and this is very dangerous.
“The couple had a smoke alarm so if they were here they would have woken up but if they didn’t they would have died. Smoke is lethal and can kill so I urge people to turn everything off before they go to bed.”