Latest London news, sport & entertainment

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 17°C

min temp: 8°C

Five-day forecast

A row has erupted over the expansion of an Ilford primary school, which has more than doubled its capacity without permission.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Apex Primary School was allowed 48 pupils when it moved to its current premises in 2010 but now has around 110.

The Islamic school, in Argyle Road, has launched a retrospective planning application for the increased number of pupils, evening and weekend use and more break times, although the form said the changes date back to September 2010.

Governor Mohammed Asif said: “There have been a lot of changes to the building and we were waiting for them to settle down before putting the application in.

“There is a huge shortage of primary school places in the borough and we just want to be able to function like any other school in Redbridge.”

The application is still under consideration but more than 220 representations have been sent in from nearby residents, pupils’ parents and people associated with the school.

More than 130 identical letters of support were sent in one batch, with spaces for hand-written names and addresses.

A letter from the Ilford Muslim Society said the restrictions imposed on Apex Primary had been “unfair and impractical”, while others highlighted the borough’s recent shortage of school places.

Most residents of homes surrounding the school asked for the application to be refused, complaining of noise and traffic from the school.

Petitions both for and against the application have been submitted.

Syrie Peters, 59, who lives next to the school, organised a petition opposing it.

She said: “I used to love my garden but now I can’t bear to be in it because of the screaming.

“I’m ill and I can’t sleep because of the noise, all of this has got too hard to bear.”

The school was at the centre of another planning row earlier this year, when the Local Government Ombudsman found Redbridge Council at fault in allowing a 4m high extension to tower over homes.

It has now started an enforcement investigation over the number of pupils enrolled at the school, which is in a converted house in a residential street.

A spokesman said: “As with all enforcement investigations, the council will wait for the outcome of the application before taking further action.”

Share this article

0 comments

   Local advertisers

More news articles

Click here to read the Digital Edition of the Ilford Recorder on screen
Use our Wedding site to help you plan your big day!
At WeddingSite we know how much you have to organise for your wedding day, that's why we have designed a set of FREE, simple-to-use tools to make the planning process easy & hassle-free. FIND OUT MORE
Find a date using our online dating and friend finder
You can meet new friends, find romance or simply meet up online with people sharing similar interests and hobbies. FIND OUT MORE
Find a local business using our online directory search
Need a plumber? Or a florist? Or anything else? Search our business directory to find Ilford businesses in just a few seconds. FIND OUT MORE
Family notices from the Ilford Recorder, with readers' tributes
In memoriam, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, best wishes & special days. FIND OUT MORE

Celebrity / Showbiz See all

The pop-up will mark Record Store Day, which is on Saturday (Picture: Mike Lawrie/Getty Images)

World’s smallest disco to open in Stoke Newington

Two musicians behind the ‘90s hit Brimful of Asha are launching the world’s smallest disco in Stoke Newington this weekend.

Read full story »