July 29 2014 Latest news:
Lizzie Dearden, Senior reporter
Monday, March 31, 2014
A man escaped uninjured when a fire started in a chicken shop in Ilford Lane this morning.
The blaze started at about 11.20am at Tasty Chicken, next to the Shell petrol garage.
Firefighters said the man had got out of the building before they arrived and he was not injured.
Afiqual Khan, who works opposite the takeaway in Plashet Carpets, said a chip fryer was believed to have caused the blaze he added.
“People had to be evacuated from above - a lady was sleeping with her kid, a baby.
“The road was blocked for a couple of hours.”
A London Fire Brigade spokesman said four fire engines were sent to tackle the fire and brought it under control in about an hour.
Ambulances were called but paramedics said no one needed treatment.
Ilford Lane was closed while emergency services were at the scene and bus routes 169 EL1 EL2 were diverted.
The road has now reopened and traffic has cleared.
Did you see the fire? Call 0208 477 3821 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.