Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 24°C

min temp: 16°C

Five-day forecast

King George A&E to remain open beyond 2015, says Health Secretary

King George Hospital King George Hospital

Tuesday, May 20, 2014
12:10 PM

King George’s A&E will remain open beyond 2015 when it had been provisionally set to close and “for the foreseeable future”.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

The news was announced today by Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt.

In a statement, he said: “The NHS locally has always been clear that changes to the A&E service at King George Hospital will not be made until there are further improvements in the quality of emergency care, and when more work has taken place to reduce the need for hospital attendance and give care closer to home.”

Mr Hunt added: “Progress is being made in these areas and the Trust’s improvement plan as part of our rigorous special measures process reinforces the focus on developing emergency care for local patients.

“This is a priority for the new leadership team at the Trust.

“However, there is still work to do and we do not expect the Trust to be ready to make the changes for the foreseeable future.”

The Recorder revealed last year demand at King George’s A&E was soaring, with nearly 18,000 ambulances arriving between April 2012 and March this year – two per cent more than the previous year.

Figures revealed show Redbridge’s hospital trust consistently failed to hit government A&E waiting time targets in 2013.

Ilford North MP Lee Scott confirmed he would continue to campaign to keep the A&E open permanently.

He said: “In my view this is not the end of the campaign - not by any stretch of the imagination.

“This campaign has been going on for a decade.”

Mr Scott added the news “would get rid of stories” the hospital would close if the A&E was shut.

“This gets rid of stories that the hospital was going to close,” he added.

“I will still campaign for this to be made permanent.”

Ilford South MP Mike Gapes called the announcement “an election stunt” with the decision being made so close to the local elections on Thursday (22).

He said: “I think you should realise that this a pre-election stunt by Jeremy Hunt - the Redbridge Conservatives are desperate.

“The government is not changing its position. This is just a device to get the Conservatives more votes on Thursday.”

Share this article

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ilford Recorder visitors.


We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ilford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Forgotten your password?


Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ilford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

   Local advertisers

More news articles

Click here to read the Digital Edition of the Ilford Recorder on screen
Use our Wedding site to help you plan your big day!
At WeddingSite we know how much you have to organise for your wedding day, that's why we have designed a set of FREE, simple-to-use tools to make the planning process easy & hassle-free. FIND OUT MORE
Find a date using our online dating and friend finder
You can meet new friends, find romance or simply meet up online with people sharing similar interests and hobbies. FIND OUT MORE
Find a local business using our online directory search
Need a plumber? Or a florist? Or anything else? Search our business directory to find Ilford businesses in just a few seconds. FIND OUT MORE
Family notices from the Ilford Recorder, with readers' tributes
In memoriam, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, best wishes & special days. FIND OUT MORE

Celebrity / Showbiz See all

Drake has cancelled his Wireless London performance (Photo by Theo Wargo/Getty Images for ESPN)

Fans devastated after Drake cancels Wireless London festival

Rapper Drake has pulled out of his headline appearances at this weekend’s Wireless Festival in London, leaving fans devastated.

Read full story »