June 19 2013 Latest news:
Jessica Earnshaw, Reporter
Tuesday, February 5, 2013
A jury has returned an open verdict after a 57-year-old died after being struck by a 80mph train in Ilford.
Anthony Charters, 57, of no fixed address, died on June 1, 2012, after being hit by a train near Ilford station while standing on the tracks, about 30ft from the platform.
The inquest, which was held at Walthamstow Coroners Court, Queens Road, Walthamstow on Friday, heard Mr Charters, originally from Manchester, had lived on the streets for many years.
Gary Mathias, British Transport Police’s coroner’s liaison officer, said Mr Charters was identified by his fingerprints after no family members were found.
After watching CCTV, Mr Mathias added he had been unable to find any recordings of the incident and declared the deceased could have been near the railway line for some time.
Train driver, Gary Ashleford, told the inquest he had seen a figure leaning over the tracks.
Dr Florence Oraelosi, who had performed a check-up on Mr Charters on May 11, 2012, said there had been no evidence of mental health issues and she felt he seemed happy.
The jury unanimously agreed on an open verdict, after there was no evidence to suggest Mr Charters had been in an unstable frame of mind.