May 19 2013 Latest news:
Alistair Kleebauer, Senior reporter
Wednesday, August 1, 2012
Harold Moth, a Redbridge councillor for 34 years, was expelled from the Conservative group last night after making “unacceptable” allegations against fellow members, according to the council leader.
Keith Prince, the Conservative leader of Redbridge Council, informed the Recorder of the decision to expel the Fullwell ward councillor.
Cllr Prince said: “The decision was reluctantly taken following an incident in group for which Cllr Moth has refused to apologise.
“We had a group meeting and he made some allegations against other group members and we felt it was unacceptable.
“He made a statement that questioned the propriety of more than one member.”
The meeting took place last month and Cllr Moth was then interviewed by Cllr Prince and Cllr Michelle Dunn, the deputy leader of the Conservative group.
The decision to expel him was taken by the group.
Mr Moth resigned from the group as recently as September 2010 to stand as an Independent before rejoining.
He has served on Redbridge Council from 1974 to 1994 and then from 1998.
When asked if Cllr Moth could return to the group, Cllr Prince said: “Technically he can return. At this moment, it would be difficult to see that.
“The group rules allow him to reapply, it’s a matter for members to decide if they want him back.”
In March 2008 the Recorder reported that Cllr Moth had quit the Tory group so he could oppose the closure of Mildmay Day Centre in Albert Road, Ilford.
He previously had the whip withdrawn in 2007.
It has not been possible to contact Cllr Moth this morning.