Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 15°C

min temp: 11°C

Five-day forecast

Disabled Chadwell Heath man refused entry onto bus


Tony Parker, is disabled and is in a wheelchair but when he went to get on a bus, the bus driver told him that he wasn't allowed to get on because there was no room for him. Tony Parker, is disabled and is in a wheelchair but when he went to get on a bus, the bus driver told him that he wasn't allowed to get on because there was no room for him.

Thursday, August 28, 2014
9:10 AM

Transport for London (TfL) is investigating claims a disabled man was refused entry on a bus in Chadwell Heath.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Tony Parker, of Third Avenue, Chadwell Heath, said he felt “humiliated” after the incident on August 8.

The 59-year-old, who uses a wheelchair, said he went to board a 173 bus in Chadwell Heath Lane but when the doors opened, the bus driver told him he could not get on.

Mr Parker said he asked why and was told there was not enough room because a buggy was already taking up the space set aside for wheelchairs users.

Mr Parker said he stopped using public transport after a similar incident happened last year.

He said: “I felt embarrassed and humiliated. It puts not only me off, but a lot of other wheelchair users too, as it would be quite intimidating to be put in this situation for many people.”

TfL said wheelchair users take priority over buggies and bus drivers should use the onboard automated announcement system to share the space or ask parents to fold their buggies.

But buggy users or other passengers who cannot, or refuse to, leave the space are not required to leave the bus.

Mr Parker said: “I couldn’t believe it was happening for the second time, when I was told by TFL that it would be sorted.

“I am thick-skinned but a lot of people in wheelchairs are not and this could put them off from using public transport.”

TfL’s head of bus operations, Ken Davison, said: “We are disappointed to hear that Mr Parker experienced an issue when trying to board a route 173 bus.

“Our guidance to bus drivers clearly states that wheelchair users are to be given access to the dedicated space on our buses even if it is occupied by a buggy or other passengers.

“We are working with Arriva, who operate the route 173 bus, to investigate Mr Parker’s complaint.”

Share this article

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Ilford Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Ilford Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Forgotten your password?

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Ilford Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Click here to read the Digital Edition of the Ilford Recorder on screen
Use our Wedding site to help you plan your big day!
At WeddingSite we know how much you have to organise for your wedding day, that's why we have designed a set of FREE, simple-to-use tools to make the planning process easy & hassle-free. FIND OUT MORE
Find a date using our online dating and friend finder
You can meet new friends, find romance or simply meet up online with people sharing similar interests and hobbies. FIND OUT MORE
Find a local business using our online directory search
Need a plumber? Or a florist? Or anything else? Search our business directory to find Ilford businesses in just a few seconds. FIND OUT MORE
Family notices from the Ilford Recorder, with readers' tributes
In memoriam, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, best wishes & special days. FIND OUT MORE

Celebrity / Showbiz See all

Drake has cancelled his Wireless London performance (Photo by Theo Wargo/Getty Images for ESPN)

Fans devastated after Drake cancels Wireless London festival

Rapper Drake has pulled out of his headline appearances at this weekend’s Wireless Festival in London, leaving fans devastated.

Read full story »