July 25 2014 Latest news:
Lizzie Dearden, Senior reporter
Tuesday, April 1, 2014
The gates to Hainault Recreation Ground are still shut as the clean-up continues after a group of travellers left.
The group set up camp last week and left on Thursday, according to Redbridge Council.
But the park will remain shut until cleaning has finished.
About 11 caravans appeared at 8pm last Tuesday, prompting calls to the council from concerned residents.
A witness said five police cars were in the park on Thursday afternoon and officers were knocking on caravan doors.
The appearance prompted the closure of all parks in Redbridge to vehicles but they have now been reopened.
A statement from Redbridge Council said officers had visited the park in Forest Road.
It added: “The situation at Hainault Recreation Ground is being assessed, as is the welfare of the travellers and safety of their children.”
The travellers had reportedly been moved on from the car park of Woodcraft kitchens in Eastern Avenue, Chadwell Heath, earlier in the week.
A resident, who did not want to be named, said: “They had been in the car park since around 10pm on Sunday night and left behind a pile of rubbish.”
Travellers can be evicted from council land or by landowners if they are in private fields but government guidance advises that they can stay if they are not causing any problems.