May 25 2013 Latest news:
by Zjan Shirinian, News Editor
Tuesday, May 22, 2012
The chairman of a panel set up to help Redbridge mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee in style has resigned citing a “lack of support”.
Conservative Cllr Ruth Clark made the announcement earlier today during a meeting of the Diamond Jubilee corporate panel in Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford.
She told the Recorder afterwards: “As chairman, I felt I wasn’t getting the same support from some cabinet members and officers as the Olympic panel has received.
“It’s very unlike officers to be this uncooperative.”
She said items for a time capsule to mark the Diamond Jubilee were chosen without input from residents, as had been agreed.
Cllr Clark also said funding requests to the borough’s seven area committees to help celebrate the Queen’s 60 years on the throne were “not fair”, because information supplied together with the requests differed from area to area.
Cllr Clark, who walked out of the meeting after resigning from the panel, added: “I have a lot of sadness.
“I feel very disappointed at the lack of support.
“I’d campaigned for the panel for nearly two years.
“It’s been a lot of hard work and I’ve been doing it purely for residents.”
The panel was set up in January and has seven members and two substitutes.
Because only two other members were at today’s meeting, is is understood business was suspended following Cllr Clark’s announcement.