May 18 2013 Latest news:
Lizzie Dearden, Reporter
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
After a summer of non-stop wedding, Jubilee and Olympic celebrations, it will now be free to close roads for street parties in Redbridge.
In a surprise announcement at last night’s cabinet meeting, the leader of the council pledged to scrap the fees usually charged for road closures.
Cllr Keith Prince said he wanted to encourage more parties in the borough after the success of the Diamond Jubilee and Royal Wedding.
He added: “I went to quite a few street parties and found them very enjoyable.
“They really brought out the sense of community for the areas involved.”
Council group leaders decided on the move last week, which will make it easier for residents to organise celebrations.
Cllr Prince said that if applications are on time for traffic orders, which are released about four times a year, people will not be charged.
The cost comes from the need to publicly advertise road closures in advance.