October 23 2014 Latest news:
Emma Lake, Reporter
Friday, June 20, 2014
Residents have said they could face a detour of up to 30 minutes after Redbridge Council voted to ban a controversial u-turn.
Councillors decided to stop motorists making a u-turn at the junction of Clayhall Avenue and Claybury Broadway after a lengthy debate, last night.
The recommendation had been made by area committees three and four, who argued that the manoeuvre was dangerous to both pedestrians and road users.
The decision means that residents of Hill Farm estate, Barkingside, will be prevented from turning right out of their properties, instead facing a three mile diversion.
Claude Pascal, a Hill Farm estate said: “They are telling us to go all the way round.
“That will add another 15-20 maybe 30 minutes to our journey. It’s not just the time it’s the environmental impact.”
The campaigners had presented a deposition to the meeting during which they argued that banning the manoeuvre would increase congestion and the likelihood accidents.
Liberal Democrat, Cllr Gwyneth Deakins, opposed the move dismissing safety concerns and stating that no accidents have been recorded at the spot.
She said:“The case has simply not been made. We would be replacing an inconvenience to one group of people with an inconvenience to another group of people at considerable cost to the public purse.”
However Conservative, Cllr Alan Weinberg, argued that the manoeuvre should be banned on safety grounds.
He said: “Let’s prevent a fatality. Let’s prevent a child or elderly person being knocked over while we can.”
There was cross party agreement that a roundabout should replace the junction and councillors were told that Transport for London was in the process of conducting a feasibility study. In the mean time u-turns will be banned and motorists forced to make the diversion.